sick Barred rocks little rooster?

packinaglock

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
I think my little 5 week old roo might be sick. I took him out of the cage from the others and he just sits there for the last day and a half, and he looks like he may be all puffed up like a ball. Any Ideas???

Well he didn't make it he was doa this morning, I kinda feel like an idiot that it took me a couple of days to figure out what was wrong. At first I just thought he was being quiet from being picked on in the cage from the bigger chickens.

Sulmet is really your best bet for cocci treatment, but hopefully you'll not need that info again. I'm sorry for your loss. At 5 wk. old, you may want to medicate the rest of them. Normally, I wouldn't advocate medicating without symptoms, but cocci spreads quickly and kills quickly.

Last edited:
I would really suggest giving them all the sulfa...if he had it they could easily have been exposed...i have seen it as really sloppy poo that usually sticks to their feathers along with lack of activity...they go downhill fast w/o treatment. Luckily I've managed to treat it with good success, only lost the first one that showed the symptoms.
Good luck, I'm sorry you lost your little man
sad.png

I was about to ask this question. I have 197 RIR in a brooder. They are 4 weeks old. I have had 6 die in a 4 week period. Before one dies it will stand still looking all poofed. I have not noticed any bloody pop and it is not contagious or I would have had more die.IMHO. It usaly takes it about a day to die after I notice it looking droopy.

6 isn't bad for that truck load! Sorry but it's true... Has it tapered off since they are bigger now? Some I just don't think are meant to make it...not right inside or something, but they usually die in the first week...if they are dieing now I would wonder.

Back
Top Bottom