Sick bird

Mickidoodle

Chirping
Apr 8, 2020
I need advice! I have a 1.5yr old Orpington who is losing weight, pale comb, and sleeping in nesting box. She is eating and moving around. I thought she was just molting but I picked her up today and she has lost half her weight.
Her poops look fairly normal- maybe a little wet. I don’t see worms but I’m wondering it that’s the problem. 🤷‍♀️
She does not have mites. I have been giving my birds Nutri-Drench in their water once a week since the weather has started getting cold. And I have put vet RX on their legs a couple times just in case they have leg mites. Not sure what else I should do.

I need advice! I have a 1.5yr old Orpington who is losing weight, pale comb, and sleeping in nesting box. She is eating and moving around. I thought she was just molting but I picked her up today and she has lost half her weight.
Her poops look fairly normal- maybe a little wet. I don’t see worms but I’m wondering it that’s the problem. 🤷‍♀️
She does not have mites. I have been giving my birds Nutri-Drench in their water once a week since the weather has started getting cold. And I have put vet RX on their legs a couple times just in case they have leg mites. Not sure what else I should do.
Either she has coccidiosis or she’s egg bound, or lethargic. I’ve just had this problem, and it turns out she was egg bound. She all right now, which is good. But anyways, if it is coccidiosis, then it would have spread to your flock. If it hasn’t spread yet, she’s most likely egg bound

Either she has coccidiosis or she’s egg bound, or lethargic. I’ve just had this problem, and it turns out she was egg bound. She all right now, which is good. But anyways, if it is coccidiosis, then it would have spread to your flock. If it hasn’t spread yet, she’s most likely egg bound
I guess I thought an egg bound bird would be squating to try and lay and would die within 36 hours if they can’t get the egg out. 🤷‍♀
What do I get to treat for coccidiosis?

I guess I thought an egg bound bird would be squating to try and lay and would die within 36 hours if they can’t get the egg out. 🤷‍♀
What do I get to treat for coccidiosis?
I didn’t notice mine sitting down to much, and I was nearly 100% it was egg bound, so here’s what I did. I gave her a calcium pill (normal human one works fine), and you put it in her beack. It’s a bit of a struggle, but once you get her beak open just long enough, put the pill in, close the beack, and you’re done! I did this and every day she got better and better. And chickens that are egg bound can die, if not treated early on or if treated incorrectly, but for now just give her that calcium pill. Even if she’s not egg bound, the calcium helps her anyways

@Wyorp Rock you helped me out so much, can you help her out as well? Thanks

Can you get some photos of her and her poop?

Is she molting? Do you see pin feathers coming in?

When was her last egg? Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or fluid and make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Hard to know what's going on with her. I assume the sleeping in the nesting box is new, does she growl at you when you approach? Have you added any new birds recently? Any changes within the flock?

If she's lethargic, then getting fluids into her is always a good idea.
A fecal float would reveal if worms are an issue or not. Most of the time you won't worms in the poop.

Back
Top Bottom