Sick Broody Hen.... HELP

Reptigirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
My favorite LF Cochin went broody 3 days ago. She seemed fine and alert. Last night she jumped down, grabbed a bite to eat and went back to her eggs. Today she was on the eggs...then tonight I saw her standing alone out in the yard. When I walked up to her she didn't run or anything. She had a massive, NASTY, runny, green poo. More poo then I have ever seen come out of a chicken and it smelled HORRIBLE! I took her in, cleaned her back end up Dried her up real well and put her out under a heat light in the coop. She is just standing there with her head hanging down. No interests in food or water. Her crop feels slightly full but weird. It doesn't feel like grain or anything in it. Its feels a little like foam. You can push in on it but it puffs right back out. Doesn't seem to be liquid in it. Doesn't smell like sour crop.

Not sure what to treat for? I mixed up some tetracycline, yogurt & liquid vitamins. She took it down fine. Any ideas? I hate treating without knowing what's wrong but we don't have a vet anywhere around us that sees chickens. Closest livestock vet is nearly 2 hours away! Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Any paralysis? I had two that had that awful stinky green poo. I narrowed it down to botulism poisoning, most likely from a moldy batch of straw I used. I gave my surviving rooster cool clean water to flush the toxins out. They say to use epsom salts (laxative) to expel the bad stuff faster but I didn't. I'm not saying it is botulism, but it's a possibility. Keep us posted.

We have had lots of rain here. I try to keep all the hay clean and dry, but mold is possible. They free range over 6 acres. A few days ago I moved a big grain bin and there was mold all under it. They could have uncovered mold somewhere.

Her crop feels so weird. It's slightly solid, but kind of mushy. Almost like pushing on play dough
hmm.png
She went back to siting her eggs tonight. I'm going to take some warm water out to her.

I sure hope she pulls through this.. If anyone else has any ideas, that would be great!

I'm glad she's back to sitting on her eggs. Maybe she did just eat something that didn't agree with her. Keep the water real fresh. Certainly doesn't hurt. I'd be interested in what any others might have to say.

Back
Top Bottom