Sick broody???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gotro17, May 3, 2017.

1. gotro17

gotro17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    This is French Fry...a 2.5 year old CCL and veteran broody hen. She seems a bit pale to me, has scabs on her face (I'm guessing from nesting box wars) and keeps shaking her head and opening her mouth (most concerning). She's a great protector of her nest. It has been really warm here- I've now parked a bowl of water by her nesting box, with some food. Should I be concerned or does she look ok? Thank you!!!

Yesterday-
    [​IMG]

Today-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gotro17

gotro17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Bump

3. Laya egg

Laya egg Just Hatched

May 2, 2017
    Pale combs can be an indication of dehydration, perhaps add some electrolytes to her water. Save-a-chick electrolytes can be purchased at TSC. I would monitor her to maker sure she is drinking. Some people opt to move broody's out of the coop into an area where they can eat, drink, and be secure from other chickens. When my bantam went broody I left her in the coop and would pick her up once in the morning and once at night and put her by the waterer. I also would give her extra treats and have her eat them from my hand while she sat in the box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by