Sick Button Quail - PLEASE HELP!

Roisin

Hatching
10 Years
May 29, 2009
I have a female button quail who is nearly 4 years old. When I came downstairs in the morning I noticed she looked like she was choking. She was stretching her neck backwards and forwards and opening her beak. While she does this she's making a noise which sounds like a squeaky dog toy. I gave her a tiny drop of water and it just made it a lot worse. It lasts a few minute and then she'll calm down, although her breathing seems heavier than usual.

I've noticed over the past few months that her health has been deteriorating as she's not as energetic as she used to be and her feathers are not as thick, but I haven't been overly concerned because I know she's getting old.

Does anybody know what's wrong with her? It's been going on for at least 6 hours now and I'm really worried, but the vet is now closed. Any ideas what's wrong with her and what we can do to help her?

Thank-you!

Give her some worm medicine (Wazine in the water or a tiny bit of ivermectin on the back of her neck) in case she has gape worms, but I'd say she's probably just winding down. 4 years is pretty old for a button. Make sure she has plenty of grit (sand works or you can get chick-sized grit at the feed store) and you might want to grind her feed to make sure she can digest it.

oh no! im sorry. im not really sure how to help i jsut wanted to send well wishes and hope she pulls thru! please let us know how things go with her

Back
Top Bottom