1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick button quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fishforbrains, Jan 28, 2017.

1. fishforbrains

fishforbrains Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2015
    My favorite button quail, a white female who is quite tame and will sit on your hand, suddenly fell ill. She is acting like she cannot get up, just kind of lying there panting. We had the power go out for 6 hours yesterday and is it possible the sudden disruption in lighting did something? Stuck egg? I've been carrying her to the water source every few hours and she drinks. I don't see anything obviously wrong. I hate to see her suffer. She's a really nice bird.

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    If there is an egg stuck, you should be able to feel it below her vent. If there is anything there, search for 'egg binding' or 'egg bound quail' on this forum. The usual first suggestion is to hold the hind/bottom part of the hen in warm water for a few minutes - about 10-15 I think, but I don't remember exactly. Afterwards, place her in a warm, dark place and leave her there for a while. If you are lucky, she'll have laid the egg when you check on her. If you are not, follow the other suggestions you find when searching the forum.
    If there is no egg, it's possible that she boinked and hurt herself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by