Sick chick — please advise!

ckor

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 21, 2014
Help! We have a barred plymouth rock that's about a week old who was chirping loudly throughout the night but moving around fine. When I came home from work today she was on her back and apparently unable to right herself because she was getting trampled by the other chicks. When I hold her, her head lolls back and her eyes are shut but she is still chirping quietly. I wrapped her up and put her alone under a heat lamp, which helped her to stop writhing around, but I can't figure out what's wrong. She seems very ill. Thanks for any insight...

Get some chick electrolytes (Save A Chick) or make your own, and dip her beak in the water as much as you can while letting her swallow. She is showing neurological signs of stress. If you can't get or make electrolytes, put 1 tsp of sugar in a quart or liter of water.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water

All 3 of my chicks were fine this morning, but I came home with 1 in a similar state tonight. She has a bit more energy - but certainly not much - since I gave her the sugar water as advised. Any thoughts on how often to get her to drink the water?

Thanks for your reply. She didn't make it through the night. Wish I knew what what was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom