Sick Chick Advice please

Jul 16, 2022
I bought some eggs online and incubated them, on day 17 they seemed to be developing fine and I took them out to candle them ready for lockdown. My finger went through 4 of the 6 shells showing a possible drastic calcium deficiency in the hens who laid the eggs. I repaired the shells the best I could and continued incubating them separately to my other eggs. 5 of the 6 didn't develop any further despite containing fully developed chicks however one did hatch on day 19, there was no sign of any unabsorbed yolk. The little chick seemed to move around okay. Yesterday I noticed it was walking abnormally on one leg back on its hock. Today it seems worse, not wanting to move around or eat or drink.
Today I have been dipping its beak in raw egg yolk but it shallows but doesn't seem interested. It does walk around a little but doesn't look good.
I have used non slip matting so this shouldn't be an issue. I am wondering if the lack of calcium has caused spinal or joint problems but would really value other people's help as I don't feel able to cull the little cutie.

Pictures

Attachments

• 20230415_171950.jpg
    20230415_171950.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230415_171938.jpg
    20230415_171938.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 2
I did put her in with some others after she was dry before she went downhill but took her out when I noticed her not being right incase they attacked her so removed her.
That’s probably smart I was just wondering if she was acting sick cause she was sad 😞

I think maybe you should make another post so someone will answer? Still include all the information though….. hope you get some help fast!

Back
Top Bottom