sick chick help

luvcrafts2day

Chirping
Mar 23, 2015
Hello we are knew to raising chickens. We bought 6 new babies and one had (has what I found to be pasty butt) I have done all that is suggested, but she doesn't seem to be eating now. She is drinking water. She chirps a lot and I'm hoping she isn't in pain. I keep wiping her and drying her off an apply oil. It looks like her bottom is swollen under her vent area. All the other chicks are doing well. Any help greatly appreciated.
Doreen

Hello we are knew to raising chickens. We bought 6 new babies and one had (has what I found to be pasty butt) I have done all that is suggested, but she doesn't seem to be eating now. She is drinking water. She chirps a lot and I'm hoping she isn't in pain. I keep wiping her and drying her off an apply oil. It looks like her bottom is swollen under her vent area.  All the other chicks are doing well. Any help greatly appreciated.
Doreen

Has the pasty butt cleared up after a good cleaning? Is she pooping?

How swollen is her bottom, is it red? It may just be irritated from wiping (I'm hesitant to assume bacterial infection). What kind of feed are they on? You should try mixing up a mash with feed and water and see if she eats (chickens tend to go nuts for anything moistened).

I will mix some food with water. I have the chick starter food and we bought some of the medicated also. Going to try and post a pic although its a little hard to see.

According to Storey's Guide, it might be an intestinal disease, like coccidiosis. It results from Protozoa by eating droppings in feed, water or litter. Is all that scrupulously clean? Do they have enough room at the feeder for all of them to eat? How old is she? It is most likely to occur 4 to 6 weeks old, with worst cases between 4-5 weeks. You might try a tiny bit of plain yogurt. If she is chirping a lot, I would only guess she might be in pain. It's a chick's way of crying. :(

If it is cocci, Google ways to treat it, and best of luck. I hope she makes a full recovery.

Hard to tell from the pic, but like the previous poster it could be coccidiosis, which you should treat with Corid (cattle meds for cocci). At this point medicated fees won't treat since it's preventative. All chicks should be treated.

The other possibility is a staph or E. coli infection that occurred through the "belly button" via the yolk sac. Not very common, but would need to be treated with antibiotics like oxytetracycline.

All meds are readily available at feeds stores, but are off label for poultry so they'll probably be in the cattle/large livestock section.

Thanks everyone. She is only a week old. She had the pasty but when we got her. We didn't pick her but ended up with us anyway. She won't lay down and walks kinda funny too. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Hello we are knew to raising chickens. We bought 6 new babies and one had (has what I found to be pasty butt) I have done all that is suggested, but she doesn't seem to be eating now. She is drinking water. She chirps a lot and I'm hoping she isn't in pain. I keep wiping her and drying her off an apply oil. It looks like her bottom is swollen under her vent area.  All the other chicks are doing well. Any help greatly appreciated.
Doreen

What are using as litter? The chicks can swallow things they can't digest. She could have a blockage. Have you done soaks in warm water with Epsom salt?

PS get some plain yogurt and soak a little bread in it to feed her. She may not want to taste something new, but if you can get some in her mouth she will like it.

Also add a little organic apple cider vinegar to her water. (The kind that looks cloudy with the "mother")

You can also get some chicken specific electrolyte powder to put in her water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom