Sick Chick?

Apachefarm

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2018
Hello. I am a new chick mom of two weeks, and constantly and listening to all the noises they make wondering is this normal? Last Saturday I had a chick that made some weird noises, and separated it for treatment. As of yesterday that chick has returned to the brooder and acts like its the queen of the world. Anyways...on to this chick. It was making odd noises this morning, is this normal? I know its a different breed than the others...Light Brahma? I purchased VetRx, will this help with its breathing?

It could be a respiratory issue, but first check its crop and be sure it's pooping normally. An impacted crop can put pressure on the airway. Feel on the right side of the chest for a hard nugget. If you feel this, you need to introduce some coconut oil into the chick ASAP.

Check your brooder bedding. Is it wet and developing mold? Is it cedar by any chance? Pine is safe. Cedar is not.

Food. What are the chicks eating? Has the feed gotten damp? What treats are they getting? Are you providing appropriate grit?

You can safely give one teaspoon of coconut oil to the chick if you suspect any impaction. Chilling it to a solid form makes it easier and safer to administer.

It's been pooping. I gave it a butt wash the last two days, as the backside was kind of matted, possibly diarrhea before? I took a pic this morning. - sorry for the gross pic. This wouldn't be impacted if it's still pooping, right?
Bedding is pine, I change it every 3 days. They have organic non medicated feed, and I have been giving them meal worms and a chick stick for a treat.

Attachments

• IMG_2688.JPG
    IMG_2688.JPG
    378.5 KB · Views: 2
Wrong. A chick can still poop and be impacted. The poop would either be very hard and tiny or mostly wet.

How about grit? Chicks need grit if they are given meal worms or anything other than crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom