Sick chick?

escripps

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2019
Bay Area, California
Good morning,

I recently got 7 chicks that were 3 weeks old. They are now 4 weeks old and in the last 24-36 hours my only white crested polish, who is the smallest, has become very sleepy. She will not walk much unless scared and prefers to sit and sleep. She is still eating a little and drinks a lot, her crop feels full but she still has very little energy.

Last night I scrambled her an egg and she ate a few bites but very little. This morning I mixed her crumb with water and she is eating that. Her poops are very watery. All the other chicks are very noisy and rambunctious while she is puffed up and not.

I have ordered electrolytes and probiotics, what else can I do? She has been vaccinated for mareks and coccidiosis....

Thanks!!

She is eating but mostly fluffed up and sleepy. Her poops are very watery and mostly white. The dried one is from yesterday and the wet one from a few minutes ago. I am keeping he isolated from the others.

Attachments

• 20190827_084223.jpg
    20190827_084223.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190827_084228.jpg
    20190827_084228.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190827_084232.jpg
    20190827_084232.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 8
I would go and get some Corid and start treatment right away for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treatment will undo the Corid vaccine, but I am afraid they have the infection. You can rule it out with a vet who can examine some droppings and test them. But coccidiosis can kill very quickly if that is the problem. If you want to separate the chick with a little area of it’s own to treat it only, that would be fine.

She is doing much better as the day progresses. She is actively eating and walking around, exploring and chirping. I started a medicated feed and probiotics. She is isolated from the others and is having a chance to get good access to water and feed. If she starts sitting again and not staying awake I will start corid immediately. I appreciate the information especially dosing which was so overwhelming when looking at the container!

Back
Top Bottom