Sick chick

JaybirdKay

Hatching
Jan 27, 2021
Hi I have 6 girls and 4 of them are going to be 2 years old in March and two will be one year old in March. I have 1 that is almost 2 is acting funny she won’t eat or run around and I don’t believe she is pooping. I need some advice on what to do.

How long has this been going on?
Does she look at all different? If so, post pictures.
Share anything else that may help, the more you share the easier it is for others to help.
Thank you!

Quite difficult to suggest what might be going on with your hen - if you provide us some more information that may be helpful.

This morning, how does her crop feel, hard, empty, watery? Reproductive problems such as EYP, salpingitis, or egg binding are common in hens two years or older. Could you feel around her abdominal area - does that feel bloated, distended, or hard at all?
If she's taking on a penguin-like stance, you can try inserting your lubed finger into her vent and feel for an egg.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry

If she's acting poorly, it may be best to set her up a little pen inside the coop where she can easily get feed and water, and not get pecked on. Try offering mashed scrambled eggs, tuna, or a warm soupy feed and see if she'll take to that. With sick birds, monitoring their weight, so weighing them each morning is always a good idea to track her health.

Back
Top Bottom