Sick Chick

Cherrytreefarm

Chirping
Mar 18, 2021
I have had a chick hatch last night, approx 12 hours ago and it's not in a great way. It's been laying on it's side mostly since it hatched and seems to have something wrong with its back end. Do I try to take it out now it's dried up and see if I can do anything for it? Has anyone any experience with this kinda thing? Sorry the photos aren't great, it's just the way it is laid in the incubator. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210325_100038.jpg
    20210325_100038.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210325_100059.jpg
    20210325_100059.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 4
Update:

I took her out and cleaned off alot of sticky stuff from her back end and put her in the brooder. She seems to be doing well but will flip onto her back the odd time, not sure why. Is it something that can happen from time to time, any advice on it would be appreciated especially if it is something I can prevent happening again.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210325_140845.jpg
    20210325_140845.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 2
but will flip onto her back the odd time
Are you saying she is flipping onto her back at odd times or flipped onto her back just one time?

Are there any other unusual behaviors that the chick is displaying? Is it looking up a lot? Eating or drinking properly? Without any other information to go on, I'm wondering if the chick has a touch of wry neck, which is thought to be caused by a Vit E deficiency.

Read more about it here and see what you think: https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html

No I meant that just a few times I have looked into the brooder and she's laid on her back or side, she was mostly laid like this in the incubator overnight until I took her out this morning.

That doesn't seem to match up, she's walking around ok, holding her head up normally and eating and drinking fine but it was good to be aware of that condition so thank you for that.

😄🐣🐤

No I meant that just a few times I have looked into the brooder and she's laid on her back or side, she was mostly laid like this in the incubator overnight until I took her out this morning.

That doesn't seem to match up, she's walking around ok, holding her head up normally and eating and drinking fine but it was good to be aware of that condition so thank you for that.

😄🐣🐤
Hmm was the chick just sleeping then? I know the first time I saw a chick sprawled out taking a power nap, I thought it was dead. Thankfully I've learned a lot since then! I know how it is to worry over these babies though.

Yeah maybe that was it, she is staying upright now so hopefully whatever it was she's ok from now on.

Can chicks hatch with stuff stuck to it like that at random or is there a cause do you know?

Yeah maybe that was it, she is staying upright now so hopefully whatever it was she's ok from now on.

Can chicks hatch with stuff stuck to it like that at random or is there a cause do you know?
I've not had a ton of experience with hatching chicks, and the experience I do have is with a hen. However, they can have extra yolk and excrement stuck to them, yes.

Ok thank you, this is only my second hatch with an incubator. A hen is a much easier route to take, I just have to convince one of my ladies to go broody. 😄

Ok thank you, this is only my second hatch with an incubator. A hen is a much easier route to take, I just have to convince one of my ladies to go broody. 😄
Ehhhhhh in some ways yes, a hen is easier, but she has her own problems! My gal is even more stubborn that usual, so I have to take a lot of care to ensure she is eating and drinking and I always have to build her an area where she doesn't roam too far, because she's otherwise prone to getting on the wrong nest. In terms of the aftermath of hatching, yes, 1000% easier. She's a wonderful mom.

Back
Top Bottom