Sick chick

Bantumhatching

Chirping
Jun 20, 2021
We recently hatched Barnum chicks from an incubator, but after only receiving one chick, we went to the store and got the chick a couple friends as it was very lonely. The day after, one chick was found sleeping in the water bowl, and after being taken out, they were very weak and could not stand or open its eyes. We separated him and fed him sugar water but sadly he passed away. Is it a concern that this will happen to any of the other chicks?

What does your water bowl look like?
Chicks can drown in too deep of a water bowl.
It is decently deep but we put rocks in there so that the chicks could walk in the bowl without the danger of drowning. The chick survived a couple hours after being removed from the water. Do you think he got too cold?

It is decently deep but we put rocks in there so that the chicks could walk in the bowl without the danger of drowning. The chick survived a couple hours after being removed from the water. Do you think he got too cold?
If there were marbles, I would assume he would be able to walk out of the waterer to get to the heat source.
What heat source do you use? Heat lamp or brooder plate. Just wondering if it was too dark for him to see where he was going.
Sometimes new chicks die and it isn’t anything we did. Some are just unhealthy.
Were there any other signs you noticed?

If there were marbles, I would assume he would be able to walk out of the waterer to get to the heat source.
What heat source do you use? Heat lamp or brooder plate. Just wondering if it was too dark for him to see where he was going.
Sometimes new chicks die and it isn’t anything we did. Some are just unhealthy.
Were there any other signs you noticed?
We used a heat lamp. The other chicks were in the area where the lamp was, so it was odd that he wasn’t with them. He just seemed very weak and tired, while the other chicks were energetic and walking around/eating/drinking.

We used a heat lamp. The other chicks were in the area where the lamp was, so it was odd that he wasn’t with them. He just seemed very weak and tired, while the other chicks were energetic and walking around/eating/drinking.
Do you have an idea as to how old these new chicks are?
There is a chance they just arrived at the store when you picked them up and he was already very weak and not going to survive. Some small family owned farm stores will replace a dead chick but I don’t think Tractor Supply does.

Do you have an idea as to how old these new chicks are?
There is a chance they just arrived at the store when you picked them up and he was already very weak and not going to survive. Some small family owned farm stores will replace a dead chick but I don’t think Tractor Supply does.
We got them from tractor supply . Not really sure how old they are but I think your right in that he was weak to begin with. The other chicks seem healthy and are eating and drinking regularly. Thank you for your help!

We recently hatched Barnum chicks from an incubator, but after only receiving one chick, we went to the store and got the chick a couple friends as it was very lonely. The day after, one chick was found sleeping in the water bowl, and after being taken out, they were very weak and could not stand or open its eyes. We separated him and fed him sugar water but sadly he passed away.
It sounds like you did what you should have. I use sugar water for chicks and even adult chickens when necessary and I put rocks in the waterer for them to walk on. I can't fault anything you did.

Is it a concern that this will happen to any of the other chicks?
Some type of disease is always possible, but it is not very likely. I would not worry about that but of course observe the others.

What that sounds like to me is a "failure to thrive". That's a fancy way to say there was something wrong with the chick when it hatched, maybe think of if as a birth defect. It absorbed the yolk and lived off of that for a few days but for whatever reason it did not eat or drink so it weakened and died. This sometimes happens, there is nothing you or Tractor Supply could do about it.

It sounds like you did what you should have. I use sugar water for chicks and even adult chickens when necessary and I put rocks in the waterer for them to walk on. I can't fault anything you did.

Some type of disease is always possible, but it is not very likely. I would not worry about that but of course observe the others.

What that sounds like to me is a "failure to thrive". That's a fancy way to say there was something wrong with the chick when it hatched, maybe think of if as a birth defect. It absorbed the yolk and lived off of that for a few days but for whatever reason it did not eat or drink so it weakened and died. This sometimes happens, there is nothing you or Tractor Supply could do about it.
Thank you so much for that! Makes me feel a lot better! The other chicks are growing very quickly and look quite healthy at the moment! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom