Sick chick

calderman

Chirping
Aug 29, 2020
Hello I have this chick that is alert and wake but won’t raise it head pictures below I been raising chickens for a while and never seen this anyone got any ideas.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Wry neck can manifest in a number of different ways. This could be one of them. Vitamin E 400iu given with egg is the treatment. But you will need to pry open the beak and pop the capsule in.

How old is this chick?
Is it able to eat and drink, either on its own or if you help it?

Wry neck can manifest in a number of different ways. This could be one of them. Vitamin E 400iu given with egg is the treatment. But you will need to pry open the beak and pop the capsule in.

How old is this chick?
I have had a duck with wry neck and treated that one, the chick is a little over 2 months I came home from work and found it like this but I tried to give it food and it won’t eat but I think I got it to drink a little.

How old is this chick?
Could wry next just hit at any time?

It can hit out of the clear blue sky, seemingly. It's a neurological disorder, but all of the triggers aren't known. The common causes are vitamin E deficiency, brain injury, heat stress, a side effect of another illness, and others not fully understood. One of the ways vitamin E works to treat brain and nervous system disorders is to hunt down free radicals that disrupt these functions and absorb them, neutralizing them.

I've seen it work in just hours with just a couple of doses. Others may take weeks, and still others may be chronic and require repeated treatments over the life of an afflicted chicken.

What is your location? Has it been suddenly very hot where you live? If so, there's a chance the chick is suffering from heat stroke. In that case, sugar water with electrolytes must be given in addition to cooling the chick with cold compresses under its wings.

What is your location? Has it been suddenly very hot where you live? If so, there's a chance the chick is suffering from heat stroke. In that case, sugar water with electrolytes must be given in addition to cooling the chick with cold compresses under its wings.
Imm in North Carolina it was 90 today

I try the water and sugar and if that doesn’t work I try the Vitamin E 400iu tablets tomorrow I go pick them up

After I cooled the chicken and gave the chick a little bit of water it started making noise and kinda making a clicking sound

How did you give the water? Some may have gone into the airway. There's a wrong way and a right way to safely give a chicken liquids to avoid the airway.

The crop and esophagus is on the chicken's right side, and introducing liquids into the right side of the beak can avoid it getting into the airway.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom