sick chick

jessicalea

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 9, 2014
Hello. This is the most informative website about raising chickens that I have ever come across. For the first time in my adult life, I hatched some chicks in an incubator. Only two out of six hatched. There were a lot of reasons why more didn't hatch, I know now after reading posts on this site. Anyway, one was malpositioned. I let it struggle for 30 hours and make no progress. Then I helped it and everything was fine. It is a tiny chick compared to the other, but it was healthy. It does have crusty poo stuck to its behind. I came home today and its wings were drooping. I washed its behind. I put it in some warm water and held it there to soften the poo. The chick really got scared. I held it in my shirt until it dried. But since then it has peeped loudly and been shivering. It looks tired and very stressed. It is not looking good. What do you think I should do?
I hope to hear from someone soon.
Thanks

Is your chick under a heat lamp - is it warm enough? Has it been eating/drinking? I've heard that electrolytes do wonders for weak chicks, maybe yours would benefit from some (make your own - sugar, salt and water. Google for the correct amounts)

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have been giving it electrolyte water, for the last week. It seems to have really helped. I am thinking that maybe the chick actually got too hot yesterday. It was the hottest day that we have had in a long time. It isn't peeping really loudly anymore. Its wings are still a little droopy, but no shivering. So it made it another day! Its a week old now. I have been giving it scrambled eggs with cottage cheese and it love it, as does the other. It is really really tiny compared to the other one though. I am wondering if it is just a runt, or if there is anything I can do for it more.

Back
Top Bottom