Serama chick won’t lay down?

ziggymoon

In the Brooder
May 30, 2022
I have 4 newly hatched chicks as of yesterday, but 1 of the 4 stands straight up all the time. Like not only is it standing up all the time it stands much more straight than the other chicks. It will not squat its legs to lay down on its tummy like the rest of the chicks. I have caught it kind of sitting back on its bottom a couple of times but never laying. It was one that did need assistance with hatching because it was malpositioned inside the egg. But the assisted hatch was fine and it acted normal up until it dried off and started learning to use its legs. I just held it supine to see if the legs would naturally retract to the stomach and it did it naturally. I have never seen this before. I wondered if being stuck in a strange position inside the egg for so long had anything to do with it? Any ideas?

This sounds odd to be honest. Could you maybe share some photos? @WoDia @bantamsrmyfav have you experienced this before?
Here’s Seasons (hatched April 5, 2022). Note how she stood so upright.
IMG_7769.jpeg

Here’s Seasons more recently.
IMG_8485.jpeg

This is Basil. She’s one of my newest hatches (August 16, 2023).
IMG_1038.jpeg

Both Seasons and Basil started out with a very upright appearance. My own experience tells me that the upright position is very normal for Serama chicks…. even during the first day or so of hatching. I have several others who held the same position after hatching, which leads to their “fearless warrior” nickname as adults. 😊

Last edited:
An added note:
I also have many Serama chicks that looked like normal chicks (but itsy bitsy in size of course) in the first few days after hatch.

Thank you for your reply! I’ve never had seramas before so maybe this is typical for them. The picture I’ve attached shows the chick standing while everyone else is sleeping, and the other two photos show how much taller it’s posture is than the others when standing. It’s still not lying down. It seems to be acting like a normal chick besides this. Does this look okay to you?

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpeg
    IMG_1689.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1687.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1688.jpeg
    IMG_1688.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 5
Thank you for your reply! I’ve never had seramas before so maybe this is typical for them. The picture I’ve attached shows the chick standing while everyone else is sleeping, and the other two photos show how much taller its posture is than the others when standing. It’s still not lying down. It seems to be acting like a normal chick besides this. Does this look okay to you?
You’re very welcome! This looks normal. Beautiful, healthy-looking chicks! ❤️

This video shows as close to lying down as he will get,

That’s so precious!! Your teeny chick looks good. You see, in the photos I posted, that it’s normal for them to hold theirselves upright. I’ve been raising Seramas for quite awhile, and you’re going to love love LOVE raising them! I have 20 hen-brooded and incubator chicks myself this hatching season. If you ever have other questions, we are all here to help.

Thank you! I was so worried for the little guy, and am glad it looks normal. Im so excited to watch these guys grow, I’ve been wanting some for a while!
😊 Please keep us updated! I look forward to seeing photos of them as they grow. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom