Assisted hatch, oil on chicks head

Feather queen

Songster
May 13, 2022
Nsw, Australia
I assisted hatched at chick yesterday, mum had trod on it and the membrane was drying out, I removed all the broken shell and found the chick had internally piped, I moistened the membrane with olive oil and coconut oil. After leaving it in the incubator for a couple hours still no progress made so I started to slowly remove the membrane were the veins had received, it's head was positioned right in the middle of the shell almost under its foot. Once I had cleared the head I put it back in the incubator for a while then proceeded with removing membrane with receded veins. I pulled its head out from under its wing and put it back in the incubator. Not even 5 minutes later and the chick was out.

I had to apply oil to the under side of membrane as it was stuck to the chicks head. I am worried that it's head won't be able to dry properly, What do I do?

Attachments

• 20230722_081033.jpg
    20230722_081033.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230722_081046.jpg
    20230722_081046.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 3
Cute Chick, congratulations!

You can gently take a kleenex or piece of tissue and wipe off any excess oil if you wish.
The oil will wear off in a couple of days as she runs about and loses here down. It's not something I'd be too concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom