Sick chicken? Advice; first steps

Green myrtle

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2020
E8532FE4-430D-44FE-9E41-5D2BB8D18824.jpeg

This is one of our big red chickens 5-6. She seemed ok yesterday. Today when we opened the coop she stepped out the door and plopped down in front of it so other chickens had to hop over her, showed no interest I. The morning corn and went under the coop instead.
When I just checked her at lunchtime to throw her some more food under the coop, she stood up and then after a little while wandered out and went to free range with the other chickens, slowly.

What could be up and is there anything I should do? Or just wait and see?

It could be at her age that she is slowlping down or is suffering from a reproductive disorder or a crop problem. What do you feed her other than corn? Has she laid eggs recently? Is she overweight? Can you feel her crop now, and again in early morning before she eats or drinks? Her crop should be mostly empty and flat in the morning if her crop is emptying normally. If it is full and puffy or hard, there may be a problem.

I would try to get her drinking some water, and electrolytes or some Poultry NutriDrench for a boost would be good. Offer some scrambled egg bits and her feed.

Back
Top Bottom