sick chicken any ideas?

Chad the Chicken Man

Songster
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Belleville, WI
Ok I left for work today around 630 this morning and everything was fine. maybe in over reacting but i dont know. i came home from work today and my RIR was just laying on the ground like she was taking a rest. didnt think much of it so i went in the coop and got some scratch and threw it on the ground and all the chicken of course came over and started feeding. i looked over and the RIR was still laying there so i went to pick her up and she just kind of wattled away slowly and i noticed her tail pointed straight at the ground. I put her in the coop and feed her scratch from my hand which she ate right up so i put her on the ground in the coop and she went for a drink. so those are both good signs. but im just a little scared because she will just lay down and not move and when she does her tail is strait to the ground. any ideas whats going on? am i just over reacting here?

How old is she? Notice any difference in feces? Have you checked her for mites/lice? Has she/the flock been wormed recently?

Check her crop, too. Does it feel impacted? I've lost hens to impacted crops. They did just what yours is doing to start. I tried evereything but split the crop open, which is what I hear works the best, but scares the bejeebers out of me. Hope she feels better soon.
Could she be eggbound?

Last edited:
well this morning she could barley move so i took her out of the coop and into a dog crate in mu mud room. I dont know what here poop looks like yet but will when i get done with work. Ive tried to check her for mite. I dont know if im doing it right i checked by her vent under her wing and around her neck. i would peel back her feathers and watch for something moving. she was clean but like i said im not sure if i was checking her right. and her crop was still full this morning. are they ussually still full in the morning? It didnt feel like she was egg bound but i put her in warm water anyways for like 5-10 mins. then blow dried her dry. so i dont know i hope she gets ok ill find out more once i get home.

Back
Top Bottom