Sick chicken - Egg Bound?

Carlislemom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
One of our Rhode Island red's is not feeling well. She walks crouched down and stops every few steps. Will eat when given treats. I think I feel an egg but not sure Her butt was very dirty, so we did a warm bath and cleaned her.

When we hold her or even when she is in the water, she will go to sleep. This is from bird that normally does not like to be held.

We have her in the house and plan on keeping her here overnight. Besides the warm baths what elese can we do.

You can boil water and hold her above the steam without burning her. Lubricate her vent. Massage her vent after steam or bath.

You can dissolve one Tums and give it to her, syringe it it she won't drink. Tums have calcium in them. I kept my silkie in a small carrier in a dark room with food in water. She slept and in the morning the egg passed.

Hope this helped :)

I massaged her and I think I do feel an egg. She is currently in a dog cage in our utility room with food and water. I will try the steam trick in little bit. Will Vaseline work asa lubricate?

I massaged her and I think I do feel an egg.  She is currently in a dog cage in our utility room with food and water.  I will try the steam trick in little bit.  Will Vaseline work asa lubricate? 

Vaseline is a bit thicker, as long as you don't go to crazy with it I don't see a issue with it. Just keep her vent unblocked. Don't use olive oil! That can give her an infection.

Back
Top Bottom