Sick chicken... help please.

I'm sad to say that we ended up euthanizing the poor chicken. It seemed the right thing to do, as she just wasn't getting any better and she appeared to be pretty miserable. Epsom salt bath didn't work, plenty of sunshine and electrolytes didn't work, yogurt eliminated the green diarrhea, but them she stopped pooping altogether. As she stood in the kennel, neck hunched down with her eyes closed, I knew the time had come. Poor chicken. Thanks for all of your input.

Sorry that you lost her, but it is good to not let them suffer. A necropsy performed by the state vet or a poultry lab is a good way to get a diagnosis. You can also do one at home if you feel comfortable, mainly to look at the internal organs to get an idea of what has been going on. There is a lot of info online on what to look for, and many people take pictures and post here for opinions. Of course many just want to bury them if they are pets.

Sorry that you lost her, but it is good to not let them suffer. A necropsy performed by the state vet or a poultry lab is a good way to get a diagnosis. You can also do one at home if you feel comfortable, mainly to look at the internal organs to get an idea of what has been going on. There is a lot of info online on what to look for, and many people take pictures and post here for opinions. Of course many just want to bury them if they are pets.
I appreciate the advice. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom