Sick Chicken Help

Sara Sue

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 20, 2013
Hi. I just got a sick Silkie from a friend. She had been treating what she thought was an eye infection from the fluff touching the eyes. I told her that I would take her since she didn't really have the time to medicate the bird properly and she wasn't getting any better. All of her birds are together, and this one was never quarantined....and all her birds at this time are healthy. I got her home and put her in a quarantine cage, but she seems sicker than I initially thought. Her eyes are stuck closed at this point, and she has a dried nasal discharge. She at first seemed kind of lethargic, but I think that may be from the stress of the car ride. I read a little on here about Tylan 50, and have sent my husband out to pick some up as well as some probios. She is on a non-medicated feed. Can you all please give me some input as to weather or not you think this is how I should treat her, or if I should do something different or add something else. I plan on keeping her quarantined for 30 days from the time she is well....will she be okay to add to my flock after she is well? Thanks in advance.

Give the Tylan 50 1/4 to 1/2 ml daily in a shot into the breast muscle for 3 days or by mouth for 5 days. Most respiratory diseases are chronic, and if the bird recovers they may get it again when stressed and be a carrier for the disease to the rest of your flock. Be careful with clothes, shoes, and hands when caring for this chicken. MycoplasmaG. can even stay on your hair and clothes for 3 days. Culling this chicken or giving it back would be good to consider since you have a healthy flock. Here is some info on mycoplasma, I.B., and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Give the Tylan 50 1/4 to 1/2 ml daily in a shot into the breast muscle for 3 days or by mouth for 5 days. Most respiratory diseases are chronic, and if the bird recovers they may get it again when stressed and be a carrier for the disease to the rest of your flock. Be careful with clothes, shoes, and hands when caring for this chicken. MycoplasmaG. can even stay on your hair and clothes for 3 days. Culling this chicken or giving it back would be good to consider since you have a healthy flock. Here is some info on mycoplasma, I.B., and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Okay. How likely is it that this is not chronic, since none of her other birds are sick? She had been treating the eye infection for almost a week, I just don't know how well she was giving the medication. I actually got some other birds from her about a week ago that are still in quarantine. They all still seem to be healthy, but how much should I worry about them harboring it too? Is there any way to know for sure what she has? If I decide to cull her what is the most humane way for me (well, probably my husband) to do it? and what do we do with the remains? Thanks for the advice.

Have you checked her for mites?? Head and vent area too.
No I have not checked her for mites. Could this cause respiratory type signs? You are a silkie breeder, do you ever see eye infections from the fluff getting into the eyes? This is what she initially thought was causing the problem.

Poops look normal, no signs of external parasites.

Update.... She is doing MUCH better. I'm kind of wondering if MAYBE she wasn't as sick as I initially though. She had ocular and nasal discharge the first day that I brought her home. I did not start the Tylan until the next evening and she never had any more nasal discharge appear. Thursday and Friday she had one eye stuck shut and on Saturday she had both eyes stuck shut. I started her on a medicated eye drop Saturday night and her eyes have not gotten crusted shut again. I left them shut bc I figured it would be better until I could get some drops to protect the eyes. As soon as her eyes were medicated she was much more bright. I finished the last dose of Tylan this morning, but am going to continue the eye drops for a week. Once those are done, if she is well, I will start counting the 1 month quarantine. Also, when she was given to me I was also given another silkie...they are quarantined together in the same cage since they were together on the farm...and she is not showing any signs. I hope this is a good sign. I will continue to be careful not to cross contaminate with my other birds.

Thank you all so much for the advice, I am also still waiting to hear back from a veterinarian on possible blood tests, etc.

I'm glad she is doing better. Burning the body or disposal in plastic bags in your trash would be the best methods for disposal of bodies. Do not bury them on your land. There are many ways to cull. You can search here on BYC at the top of the page for culling methods. Here is a link to finding your state vet for questions about testing or necropsy of dead birds: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx

Back
Top Bottom