Sick chicken - maybe worms AND bound egg??

stephzoz

Hatching
10 Years
May 22, 2009
I'll describe as much as possible:

3 y/o Plymouth Rock. Came out this morning looking lethargic - I could see it in her eyes. She didn't eat any scratch when I put it out (VERY unusual for her!) and I haven't seen her eat anything else all day. I noticed diarrhea as well.

Thinking it was worms, I made her a special water bowl with a dose of ivermectin (I'm 99% sure I gave her the correct dosage) and a little olive oil She has been drinking from it nearly all day, barely moving from it's side to walk around the yard. The one time I did see her walk away, she bent her head down to pick something up and some of the water fell out. This continued a few times.

She seems to be moving better than this morning and her eyes have brightened. I'm still concerned because of the "vomit" and because she seems sort of "puffy" all over; like she has her feathers ruffled out just a little. Her backside looks swollen, as well. She is not moving her tail up and down, as though she were trying to lay.

Thoughts? I just want to make sure I'm on the right track and if there is anythign else I should do for her.

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Stephanie

Which ivermectin did you put in the water for her? I hope it was ivermectin 10% injectable and not ivermectin pour on. It sounds like she is eggbound. I recommend you soak her in a container of warm water and gently massage her underside for about 15-20 minutes, while she's soaking. Then wear a plastic glove and put olive oil on it and insert a finger into her vent and gently feel for any obstructions. Then lube her vent area with olive oil. Soaking her in warm water expands her innards, massaging helps move the egg along. Inserting finger stretches her insides and the olive oil makes it easier for her to lay the egg.

Back
Top Bottom