Sick Chicken - Nervous Nelly needs your advice

Nervous Nelly is our barred rock and two days ago was getting a bit lethargic and not nearly as active as the other chickens. Just kind of standing there and not zooming around like the other ones. Then yesterday morning when I went to let them out of their coop into the run, she was still roosting and beneath her was a huge splattery pile of yellow/green poo. Very liquidy and had clearly spilled off their manure tray down to a shelf below.
After reading a long thread on here, this is what we did, and I’m hoping someone here can elaborate on what else we should be doing or if we need to expand on our efforts.

1. separated her, she’s now in a large dog cage in our living room where I have a fire going in the insert and trying to keep it as warm as possible in there.
2. Bought the Durvet Pour On Ivermectin, applied approximately .2 ML to her back. Was this the correct way to do it? (We did all of the chickens like this...the other 9)
3. Didn’t want to wait for 10 more hours to wait for the Corid to arrive, so at the farm supply place bought CRD powder which they said was the same as Corid. Mixed it into water and replaced their water with the treated water.

We’re not really in an area that has vets that deal with chickens and farm animals, so I think we’re kind of stuck dealing with this ourselves.

Any thoughts? Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
(In the photo, ignore the cat food, it’s just weighing down the dish we’re giving her water in).
I should also add that we gave them medicated food for the first 6 months or so and we bought from a reputable farm that sells chicks so I’m sure they were vaccinated or whatever.

Attachments

• 19F17CDE-2FFD-45AC-88CA-99CA4BE85237.jpeg
    19F17CDE-2FFD-45AC-88CA-99CA4BE85237.jpeg
    578.6 KB · Views: 6
My guess is that she is suffering with a reproductive issue that has caused ascites (water belly) or liver problems, thus the rapid labored breathing and yellow urates in her poop. Sometimes ascites is caused by heart failure. Green poop is common when they have not been eating enough. Does her lower belly feel full and spongy or tight, and enlarged compared to other hens? Has she been laying eggs? I would try to get her drinking some water and see if she will eat some wet mushy chicken feed. If you can get some Fish Mox amoxicillin from your feed store, that might help treat an infection. Dosage would be 125-250 mg twice a day.

My guess is that she is suffering with a reproductive issue that has caused ascites (water belly) or liver problems, thus the rapid labored breathing and yellow urates in her poop. Sometimes ascites is caused by heart failure. Green poop is common when they have not been eating enough. Does her lower belly feel full and spongy or tight, and enlarged compared to other hens? Has she been laying eggs? I would try to get her drinking some water and see if she will eat some wet mushy chicken feed. If you can get some Fish Mox amoxicillin from your feed store, that might help treat an infection. Dosage would be 125-250 mg twice a day.

Thank you. Ok, we’re on. I’ll work on amoxicillin. I’m not sure we have anything to lose by trying at this point. Everywhere is closed of course. Grrr.

Back
Top Bottom