Sick chicken not responding to antibiotics help!

ChixLvr1

Hatching
Jun 16, 2018
My hen has upper respiratory issues that have been going on for several days now. I have been giving her injections of Tylan 50 and treating her with VetRx for 5 days now 1cc day. She is not responding to anything and seems to be getting worse. Please any suggestions on how to get her well? She is so miserable and I feel helpless!

Welcome to BYC. How much Tylan are you giving? Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound 3 times a day for 3-5 days. You can give it orally, but remove the needle first. Getting a weight helps. What symptoms are you seeing? Respiratory diseases can be chronic, and can come back whenever stressed. Viruses will not respond to antibiotics, but bacterial diseases may. If you should lose her, I would refrigerate her body in a plastic bag, and send her to your state poultry lab for a necropsy. Then you will get a diagnosis, so you will know what is in your flock. Here is a good link about common diseases including respiratory diseases infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) ILT, coryza, and others:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you! I am giving her 1cc a day of the Tylan 50. She is 4 1/2 lb hen. She is coughing, sneezing, raspy chest, runny nose. Real droopy. She is not responding to anything I've tried so far. I give her VetRx twice daily as well. She is laying eggs and eating even though she feels bad. Its frustrating bcuz she is such a wonderful hen and I just can't seem to find anything to help her. Thanks for the information.

You could give her 1 ml/cc 2-3 times a day. I would give it orally, since it can damage muscle tissue. There is no egg withdrawal time with oral use. She could have coryza if there is a bad odor around her face, or a bad case of MG. ILT is pretty bad as well, but usually causes bloody mucus from the beak. Does she have any swelling around an eye or her face? Secondary infections can make respiratory diseases worse. Hopefully, you can get her through this, but I would close your flock to birds going in or out of your flock because of the disease. Most respiratory diseases are gone from your environment within days or weeks after the last bird has died. So when your birds are all gone, you can start all over with new baby chicks. All birds should be considered carriers of whatever disease your hen has. Wild birds or a carrier bird can bring diseases into the flock.

Thank you! I am giving her 1cc a day of the Tylan 50. She is 4 1/2 lb hen. She is coughing, sneezing, raspy chest, runny nose. Real droopy. She is not responding to anything I've tried so far. I give her VetRx twice daily as well. She is laying eggs and eating even though she feels bad. Its frustrating bcuz she is such a wonderful hen and I just can't seem to find anything to help her. Thanks for the information.
When your hen lays eggs, are they misshapen or wrinkled? Also when you crack open an egg, are the 'whites' runny?
If either of these are occurring, you're dealing with Infectious Bronchitis (IB) and antibiotics would be ineffective. Additionally IB passes through a flock rather quickly. Are any other birds showing symptoms?

One other possibility would be a fungal problem, but I'm sure other birds would be showing symptoms as well. Is there mold inside the coop or in bedding/nest boxes?

I haven't checked any of her eggs yet but I will now to see whats up. No fungus or mold around and water is changed daily in coop. Had another hen come down with it but 3 days on Tylan 350 1cc injections and VetRx treatments she is good to go. Just cannot get this one hen feeling better.

I haven't checked any of her eggs yet but I will now to see whats up. No fungus or mold around and water is changed daily in coop. Had another hen come down with it but 3 days on Tylan 350 1cc injections and VetRx treatments she is good to go. Just cannot get this one hen feeling better.
Are you in the US?

Back
Top Bottom