Sick chicken pics - any help appreciated!

theburtschickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
Our buff lakenvelder (or that's what we think she is) has come down with something. Her name is Yuengling, as she resembles the Black and Tan beer made by Yuengling.
smile.png
Just 2 or 3 days ago, her eyes started to get bubbles, then a little swelling, and her left eye has since shut. There is also a little bit of snot like stuff on her beak, but she's not really "sneezing" or anything. I don't know if you can tell in the pics, but there is some definite swelling behind the eye on both sides of her head. It's almost like she has a pus filled cavity behind the eye, do chickens have sinus cavities? I've read other topics regarding this, and most have recommended isolation with a course of antibiotics.

I have her isolated, and have Sulmet (a sulfa antibiotic I believe) in her drinking water as that is all I have right now. She doesn't seem to be having any other problems. The bubbles in her good eye have gone away, so that's one good sign I guess. But her poor left eye.
sad.png
Even in isolation, I haven't noticed any irregular poop, and there is no smell to her eye junk and no other noticeable sickness.

Is there anything else I should be doing for my poor Yuengling?

Thanks so much.

39188_yuengling.jpg

39188_yuengling2.jpg

39188_y.jpg

I don't know but someone on here will have great advice for you. This is a bump for you and good luck.
love.gif

I forgot to mention that she's a pretty young chicken, probably only 6 or 7 months old. You can't really tell that by the pics. Thanks for your support Billy.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom