Sick chicken pics - any help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theburtschickens, Sep 24, 2009.

1. theburtschickens

theburtschickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Our buff lakenvelder (or that's what we think she is) has come down with something. Her name is Yuengling, as she resembles the Black and Tan beer made by Yuengling. [​IMG] Just 2 or 3 days ago, her eyes started to get bubbles, then a little swelling, and her left eye has since shut. There is also a little bit of snot like stuff on her beak, but she's not really "sneezing" or anything. I don't know if you can tell in the pics, but there is some definite swelling behind the eye on both sides of her head. It's almost like she has a pus filled cavity behind the eye, do chickens have sinus cavities? I've read other topics regarding this, and most have recommended isolation with a course of antibiotics.

I have her isolated, and have Sulmet (a sulfa antibiotic I believe) in her drinking water as that is all I have right now. She doesn't seem to be having any other problems. The bubbles in her good eye have gone away, so that's one good sign I guess. But her poor left eye. [​IMG] Even in isolation, I haven't noticed any irregular poop, and there is no smell to her eye junk and no other noticeable sickness.

Is there anything else I should be doing for my poor Yuengling?

Thanks so much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Billy7871

Billy7871 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I don't know but someone on here will have great advice for you. This is a bump for you and good luck.[​IMG]

3. theburtschickens

theburtschickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    I forgot to mention that she's a pretty young chicken, probably only 6 or 7 months old. You can't really tell that by the pics. Thanks for your support Billy. [​IMG]

4. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Have you research Fowl Pox? I don't have any experience with it myself, but I think it may match what you describe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by