Sick chicken, please help!

chiki1

Chirping
Jan 6, 2022
Hello. We have a chicken who is very sick and appears to have Wryneck, but we can't identify it. She won't eat at all and only drinks the tiniest bit from a spoon. Her neck is way off to the side, and she won't open her eyes. One of her eyes had swollen up, but we got cream for that and are treating it which seems to be helping. Other than her eye, everything else seems to be getting worse. She won't stand up anymore and has lost a lot of weight, she used to be one of our biggest and most active chickens. She is one of the family favorites, as the rest have passed these past 2 weeks. They all had problems that we didn't know how to fix. We've been giving her eggs with vitamin E and water with electrolytes (and plain water), and nothing seems to be helping! She's around 6 months old and her name is meat chicken.. Please help, we don't want to have to put her down! I don't know how anyone would take it, let alone my younger brother.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 4.45.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 4.45.30 PM.png
    558.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 4.45.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 4.45.35 PM.png
    580.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 4.45.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 4.45.47 PM.png
    609.5 KB · Views: 5
Hello and welcom to the BYC cmmunity!:frow
as the rest have passed these past 2 weeks.
How many chickens in total have passed, what age and what symptoms?

What exactly are you feeding them, where are they kept, have they outside access?

Were they vaccinated against Marek's Disease.

By the looks of it, she is very sick and seems likely to not make it.

Hello and welcom to the BYC cmmunity!:frow

How many chickens in total have passed, what age and what symptoms?

What exactly are you feeding them, where are they kept, have they outside access?

Were they vaccinated against Marek's Disease.

By the looks of it, she is very sick and seems likely to not make it.
I think around 4? One we put down because she couldn't walk and couldnt move her legs. one was a meat chicken we accidentally got who had also gotten injured who had a seizure. One had Wry neck and also had a seizure. They were all 6 months old except for the meat chicken who was 4 months. All except the meat chicken were lethargic.

We feed them vegetables and chicken feed for the most part.

None of our chickens or ducks have been vaccinated as there is only one vet near us, and they don't do chickens.

In the last picture her crop appears very swollen. Can you feel if her crop is hard like a ball or rather soft and squishy?

How does her poop look? Some pictures would be helpful.

Did you ever deworm your chickens?
That's not her crop, it's her neck bone. her poop is almost like melted eggs if that makes sense? We think she was egg-bound. Liquidy, yellow, and clear. We have not dewormed our chickens, I don't believe.

That's not her crop, it's her neck bone. her poop is almost like melted eggs if that makes sense? We think she was egg-bound. Liquidy, yellow, and clear. We have not dewormed our chickens, I don't believe.
Has she ever laid an egg?

She won't stand up anymore and has lost a lot of weight,
Having lost a lot of weight makes me doubt that she is egg bound, egg bound hens usually die within a few days of not being able to pass the egg, which leaves no time to emaciate.

Back
Top Bottom