Sick chicken, pls help

Willaby1

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2023
Ex battery hen we've had since mid June. She's a lovely thing but bottom of the pecking order and very flighty; there has been some bullying by Hen 1 &2.

We've had quite a few soft shell eggs and yolks in the nesting box. Today she is not eating, is staying in the coop and in and out of the nesting box. I've given her an epsom bath and attempted some calcium to try to get things moving in case it's a blocked egg. But there are various liquids leaking from her vent; the latest was a mass ejection of what looked to be egg white; there has also been smaller volumes of yolk coloured material.

A few days back there was what looked to be a cooked egg type mass in the litter tray of the coop.

Is she likely to be an internal layer? What can I do to help her?

She is drinking but not eating. Bottom is very red.
IMG_20230802_120410.jpg

Welcome to BYC. She probably is having a reproductive disorder, possible salpingitis, and could be passing lash egg material. There is a good possiblility of infection as well. Many would start some calcium citrate with d3 for a week or so. Also an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin, may help infection which could prolong her life. Her bare bottom looks like she might be laying internally or collecting fluid, but a bare bottom usually looks enlarged. Water belly or ascites is where yellow fluid is loose inside the belly, a result of possible reproductive disorders causing liver problems. If a 18 gauge sterile needle is inserted and you get yellow fluid, it is a confirmation of ascites.

Poor thing...If she has already stopped eating have you considered ending her suffering?
Sounds like she is very very sick and at this point it you may not be able to do anything to help her.

Thanks so much for the speedy reply @Eggcessive. I have calcium carbonate + d3 supplements for humans. Can they be used in the interim whilst I source Ca citrate?

Poor thing...If she has already stopped eating have you considered ending her suffering?
Sounds like she is very very sick and at this point it you may not be able to do anything to help her.
She's been spritely up to today. Free ranging in garden and frantically scratching for worms. I'm hoping we can get her well 😔

She's been spritely up to today. Free ranging in garden and frantically scratching for worms. I'm hoping we can get her well 😔
The best chance would be to get her to a vet so you can get some antibiotic but by the time a hen has stopped laying eggs and started accumulating stuff in her belly area is is not likely that antibiotics will help so be prepared.

Hi everyone, thought I'd post an update. After following all your advice she perked up but egg laying seemed to have stopped. The bullying by the other chickens was getting out of hand so I ended up popping some pinless peepers on the 4 that were bullying about 10 days ago. I think a large part of the problem was the stress caused by the other chickens. Our lovely chicken is doing very well now. She's staying in the run all day - previously she was in the coop all day - and she is much less flighty with the other birds so is less of a target.Her bottom is feathering up nicely and she's eating and drinking well. She's also back to laying eggs!
Thanks to all of you for your advice and kindness!

Back
Top Bottom