Sick Chicken possibly cocci or worms?

1slobalt12

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2017
I'm new to raising backyard chickens and up until recently everything has been great but one of my girls an approx. 22 week old Barred Rock started acting weird. I noticed about a week ago she didn't seem as active as she normally is but was still walking around eating and drinking. She didnt seem to be getting any better and I noticed some runny yellow and green poop as well as her feathers being puffed out. I decided yesterday to bring her inside and started her on Corid, I have safeguard coming in on Friday and I will begin treatment of that to all my chickens.

I have been reading around and I am unable to pin point exactly what she may have, Saturday I plan to try and bring some droppings to my local vet for a fecal float test if she doesn't look any better by Friday night.

Attachments

• chick1.jpg
    chick1.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 18
  • chick3.jpg
    chick3.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 16
  • chick2.jpg
    chick2.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 15
Hi @1slobalt12 :frow Welcome To BYC

What type of food/treats are you feeding?
Is her crop emptying overnight?

Getting a fecal float is a great idea, if you can get that done before Sat, that would be even better. (Have them check for Coccidiosis overload, worms and bacterial infection)

It's hard to know what's going on with chickens sometimes. Treating with Corid won't hurt, it's mild and tolerated well. Just in case you are having a hard time finding dosaging information you would want to treat with the "severe outbreak" dosage which is
1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.

Once you finish course of treatment, offer vitamins and probiotics.

Check her over for any lice/mites, feel the crop and check it to make sure it's emptying overnight. Try to keep her hydrated and encourage her to eat.

Let us know how she is doing.

Wyorp Rock is right, let us know how she is doing! I recently had a hen die from the same symptoms. If you can't get her to be interested in any food, warm oatmeal seems to be a little more appetizing then normal feed. I hope she gets better!

We feed them 16% layer pellets with probiotics along with oatmeal, leafy greens, eggs, and they also free range in my backyard..
Yesterday I mixed some oatmeal with the corid and she ate. Today I mixed the corid with the layer pellets and she ate a lot. Doesn't seem as interested in the water but when I hold some in front of her she drinks. Her crop felt empty this morning when I checked.
She doesn' seem to have any lice or mites and neither do the other chickens. We are pretty religious with cleaning of the coop, everyday it gets cleaned out and once a week it gets a full cleaning.

16% layer pellets with probiotics along with oatmeal, leafy greens, eggs, and they also free range in my backyard......mixed some oatmeal with the corid and she ate. Today I mixed the corid with the layer pellets and she ate a lot.....Doesn't seem as interested in the water but when I hold some in front of her she drinks.

How long has she been on 16%layer pellets? At 18wks, she probably is not laying eggs yet, so she may benefit from a higher protein feed (18-20%) like chick starter or flock raiser. Anything that is added or given in addition to their normal feed dilutes the protein/nutritional content.

The Corid really should be mixed with her water and the Corid Water should be the only source of water for the 5-7days treatment period. If she is not drinking well, then she may also be dehydrated. You can direct dose her with the Corid in addition to making the water available - instruction are found here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

She has been on 16% for about a month now so from approx 18 weeks of age till the current 22 weeks of age. The corid is mixed in with her water and is the only water supply available.

Welcome to BYC! Any chance you can take her to a vet? Her poop looks more like a bacterial infection than coccidiosis or worms. If you can't get her to a vet, giving her Corid is perfectly safe, but you will need to find a way to get her to drink lots of water (no less than 23 ml per pound of body weight per day).

I have a 7 month old americauna with same symptoms, she was lethargic so o brought her on and she perked up, it was 10 degrees outside, put her back out. Next day lethargic again, took her to vet having green and yellow stools, stool test was negative for worms but he suggested working anyways. After 3 days stool back to normal so I put her out with others as she seemed depressed. She was fine for a week until temps dropped again to teens on Christmas eve, on and off yellow stool looks like raw scrambled eggs and green stool at first mixed in, now brown l woth occasional loose yellow. Vet said she was also malnourished, eating too much junk not enough protein. Now he prescribed 10 day course of clavamox 2x a day, thinks it may be a liver issue.

I have a 7 month old americauna with same symptoms, she was lethargic so o brought her on and she perked up, it was 10 degrees outside, put her back out. Next day lethargic again, took her to vet having green and yellow stools, stool test was negative for worms but he suggested working anyways. After 3 days stool back to normal so I put her out with others as she seemed depressed. She was fine for a week until temps dropped again to teens on Christmas eve, on and off yellow stool looks like raw scrambled eggs and green stool at first mixed in, now brown l woth occasional loose yellow. Vet said she was also malnourished, eating too much junk not enough protein. Now he prescribed 10 day course of clavamox 2x a day, thinks it may be a liver issue.
She is eating decently and drinking as well as grooming

I have a 7 month old americauna with same symptoms, she was lethargic so o brought her on and she perked up, it was 10 degrees outside, put her back out. Next day lethargic again, took her to vet having green and yellow stools, stool test was negative for worms but he suggested working anyways. After 3 days stool back to normal so I put her out with others as she seemed depressed. She was fine for a week until temps dropped again to teens on Christmas eve, on and off yellow stool looks like raw scrambled eggs and green stool at first mixed in, now brown l woth occasional loose yellow. Vet said she was also malnourished, eating too much junk not enough protein. Now he prescribed 10 day course of clavamox 2x a day, thinks it may be a liver issue....She is eating decently and drinking as well as grooming

Hi @Michael Lionetti :frow I'm sorry to hear that your pullet is not doing well.
Sometimes it's better to start a new thread so you get suggestions about your specific problem.
Since you are here - let's look at what's happening.
When was the last time your girl laid an egg - has she had any problems laying eggs?
What type of food/treats were you feeding here?
Photos of the poop?

It's great that you had a fecal test that ruled out worms. If the vet feels that she is malnourished, then feed what they recommended or provide an all flock/raiser formula to your flock - this can be fed to birds of all ages from day old chicks all the way up. Just provide oyster shell free choice as a calcium supplement for your girls that are laying. Limit your treats to no more than 5-10% of their daily intake - mine love to have a little fresh greens/veggies or fruit daily, so that's something to think about giving yours.

You mention the stools look like raw scrambled eggs. Sometimes a pullet or hen can have some reproductive problems like Salpingitis, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, tumors or cancer that can make poop look like it has egg in it. Depending on what's going on with her, the antibiotics may help - sometimes they only help for a short period of time, but will give the hen relief for a while.

It's good that she she is still eating/drinking and taking care of herself. I hope she gets better soon, please keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom