Sick Chicken possibly cocci or worms?

Hi @Michael Lionetti :frow I'm sorry to hear that your pullet is not doing well.
Sometimes it's better to start a new thread so you get suggestions about your specific problem.
Since you are here - let's look at what's happening.
When was the last time your girl laid an egg - has she had any problems laying eggs?
What type of food/treats were you feeding here?
Photos of the poop?

It's great that you had a fecal test that ruled out worms. If the vet feels that she is malnourished, then feed what they recommended or provide an all flock/raiser formula to your flock - this can be fed to birds of all ages from day old chicks all the way up. Just provide oyster shell free choice as a calcium supplement for your girls that are laying. Limit your treats to no more than 5-10% of their daily intake - mine love to have a little fresh greens/veggies or fruit daily, so that's something to think about giving yours.

You mention the stools look like raw scrambled eggs. Sometimes a pullet or hen can have some reproductive problems like Salpingitis, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, tumors or cancer that can make poop look like it has egg in it. Depending on what's going on with her, the antibiotics may help - sometimes they only help for a short period of time, but will give the hen relief for a while.

It's good that she she is still eating/drinking and taking care of herself. I hope she gets better soon, please keep us posted.
Didn't mean to hijack the post, was just saying my hen had a similar issue. I do feed them Purina layer crumbles as well as offer oyster shell calcium. I give them fruit and yogurt daily and some meal worms and cracked corn. I'l post a photo next time she goes.

Stools are getting smaller, at first it was large amounts, she has had some fecal looking poops as well overnight that appeared normal. More energy today pecking and walking around alot more
20171229_145839.jpg

Hi @1slobalt12 :frow Welcome To BYC

What type of food/treats are you feeding?
Is her crop emptying overnight?

Getting a fecal float is a great idea, if you can get that done before Sat, that would be even better. (Have them check for Coccidiosis overload, worms and bacterial infection)

It's hard to know what's going on with chickens sometimes. Treating with Corid won't hurt, it's mild and tolerated well. Just in case you are having a hard time finding dosaging information you would want to treat with the "severe outbreak" dosage which is
1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.

Once you finish course of treatment, offer vitamins and probiotics.

Check her over for any lice/mites, feel the crop and check it to make sure it's emptying overnight. Try to keep her hydrated and encourage her to eat.

Let us know how she is doing.
x2

Didn't mean to hijack the post, was just saying my hen had a similar issue. I do feed them Purina layer crumbles as well as offer oyster shell calcium. I give them fruit and yogurt daily and some meal worms and cracked corn. I'l post a photo next time she goes.
watch out for how many treats you give, as was said 5-10% can be treats but no more
and cracked corn is like feeding a 2 yo granulated sugar ;)
you have received some great info, good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom