sick chicken recomedation

I put a little on her water http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/oxytetracycline-soluble-powder-6-2-5-oz

my boss said one of his sick have respiratory problem do you think giving them vetRx is good or give another medication ? thanks

Quote: VetRx is usually fine to use. It is not an antibiotic is is more like "vapor rub" for livestock.

If you are going to use antibiotics, then you need to use the proper dosage. For the brand you purchased it is 5 teaspoons per gallon. Only treat birds that are showing illness. It is best to know what they have before treating, so if you have a vet that would be good. Antibiotics won't cure respiratory illness, but can usually take care of any secondary infections that may accompany illness.

Heated water for the chickens is usually a good idea, they drink a lot in winter so they need fresh water all day. A heater will keep it clear of ice. As far as a heat lamp, this is usually not necessary for chickens in winter. Any sick chickens need to be separated and possibly brought into an unheated garage with their own food and water so they can be monitored and have extra attention.

As long a healthy, feathered chickens have a coop that is free of drafts, but well ventilated, they should do fine in cold temps.

Oxy dosage:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1022878/oxytetracyline-and-tetracycline-powder-doses

I have been giving her the vetRX everyday 6-8 drops, is okay to give untill she gets better? my friends brother is a Vet told me to give her Tylan 50 about 1/4 of cc on her chest for 3 days and see if she can get better, what do you think? should I buy it ? where I can buy the needle ? thanks so much for all the help God bless you

Hey I'm new with poultry and just bought 3 chicken from this farm, one of them got sick, shes not walking just stay still with the eye close, I have her 6 drops of VetRx yesterday morning around 7am and 6 at afternoon around 3pm and electrolytes in the water she started to make the chicken sound. her drops is like she have diarrhea, what is you guys recommend. this picture was at the day they got in the coop when she got sick this video of her yesterday afternoon https://youtu.be/4hBFSqK3_PY would she get better? what I need to do ? Thanks have a great day
we bought 3 girls from a poultry show and one of them is sneezing, snoring, congested. I put warm VetRx on a Qtip then put on comb nostrils and under beak. If on the comb, it soaks into comb and dribble down beak. It's made a world of difference in her breathing. These 3 have been in quarantine for a week and will be for another 2-3 weeks. Newcombers-especially from another flock and show-need to be quarantined to protect rest of the flock from things like this Good luck and I hope she feels better soon. That comb says how sick she feels; pale and droopy eyes

If you can take these chickens back and get a refund, I would. These respiratory diseases can be managed but the chickens will be carriers for life and symptoms will come back when they are under stress. And any birds brought in will be infected. You should never sell a chicken to anyone else or you could spread this to someone else's flock. If you are not already attached to these birds, it would save a lot of heartache to start over with healthy birds. I'm sorry you are going through this!

I contacted the guy he just told me to give VetRX everyday until she gets better, he said he cant take her back :(

I contacted the guy he just told me to give VetRX  everyday until she gets better, he said he cant take her back :(

I'm sorry! That's very disappointing! Not a very honest breeder in my opinion! I would never do business with them again and I would tell everyone I could that the birds they sell are sick.
My flock has mycoplasma (the most common respritory virus). I brought it in from a sweet hen I bought from a guy off KSL. I was a newbie and didn't quarantine her away from my flock like you are supposed to and now I have to deal with the consequences. My options were to cull my whole flock or treat knowing the survivors would be carriers. I decided to treat. I now maintain a closed flock. No chickens leave my yard alive, so I don't spread the virus. I treated with denegard, which worked really well! And every month I have to retreat with a maintenance dose to keep them healthy. Any new chicken to come in has to be treated. With the denegard I haven't had any symptoms except the occasional runny nose that goes away after the monthly dose. This is not a ideal situation but it could be worse.
If you decide to keep these birds, this is what I would recommend. Although you might decided culling and starting over is the better option.
Please update as you go along.

I have been giving her the vetRX everyday 6-8 drops, is okay to give untill she gets better? my friends brother is a Vet told me to give her Tylan 50 about 1/4 of cc on her chest for 3 days and see if she can get better, what do you think? should I buy it ? where I can buy the needle ? thanks so much for all the help God bless you

Quote:

You can try the Tylan to see if there is any improvement. Injectable Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight. You can give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep. If you want to give by injection instead of orally, alternate each side so she is not so sore, but you can give Tylan 50 orally. Syringes and needles can be purchased at Tractor Supply.

@ambergds has given you good advice in all of her posts. Respiratory illness can be "common", but is the one dreaded thing above all for any chicken owner. All of them are contagious in one way or another and can easily spread. Most make all birds carriers for life regardless of showing any symptoms (entire flocks can be carriers). Depending on which illness it can be passed through the oviduct into hatching eggs, making chicks possible carriers as well. Then the cycle begins.

I'm sorry that you have encountered this as a first time chicken owner. Some breeders don't care. Others have not done research and don't understand the transmission of illness or practice bio-security. They believe that a chicken gets the "sniffles" or a "cold". This unfortunately is not true. There is always a cause, IMO the top 3 would be respiratory illness, molds/fungus (Aspergillosis) and unsanitary conditions (ammonia toxicity).

Please do keep us posted.

yesterday when I went to give her medication I noticed her poop was green
hmm.png
but shes looks the same . went to tractor supply and got me the Tylan 50 I gave her 1/2 of 1cc on her chest. Hope she is going to be better today, I dont know what would be of me with out you guys . I really appreciated and I wish y'll a happy thanksgiving.

Back
Top Bottom