sick chicken recomedation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mattscoop, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

2. mattscoop

mattscoop Just Hatched

Nov 21, 2016
    I have been giving her the vetRX everyday 6-8 drops, is okay to give untill she gets better? my friends brother is a Vet told me to give her Tylan 50 about 1/4 of cc on her chest for 3 days and see if she can get better, what do you think? should I buy it ? where I can buy the needle ? thanks so much for all the help God bless you

3. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    we bought 3 girls from a poultry show and one of them is sneezing, snoring, congested. I put warm VetRx on a Qtip then put on comb nostrils and under beak. If on the comb, it soaks into comb and dribble down beak. It's made a world of difference in her breathing. These 3 have been in quarantine for a week and will be for another 2-3 weeks. Newcombers-especially from another flock and show-need to be quarantined to protect rest of the flock from things like this Good luck and I hope she feels better soon. That comb says how sick she feels; pale and droopy eyes

4. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    If you can take these chickens back and get a refund, I would. These respiratory diseases can be managed but the chickens will be carriers for life and symptoms will come back when they are under stress. And any birds brought in will be infected. You should never sell a chicken to anyone else or you could spread this to someone else's flock. If you are not already attached to these birds, it would save a lot of heartache to start over with healthy birds. I'm sorry you are going through this!

5. mattscoop

mattscoop Just Hatched

Nov 21, 2016
    I contacted the guy he just told me to give VetRX everyday until she gets better, he said he cant take her back :(

6. mattscoop

mattscoop Just Hatched

Nov 21, 2016
    thanks I will do it too

7. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I'm sorry! That's very disappointing! Not a very honest breeder in my opinion! I would never do business with them again and I would tell everyone I could that the birds they sell are sick.
    My flock has mycoplasma (the most common respritory virus). I brought it in from a sweet hen I bought from a guy off KSL. I was a newbie and didn't quarantine her away from my flock like you are supposed to and now I have to deal with the consequences. My options were to cull my whole flock or treat knowing the survivors would be carriers. I decided to treat. I now maintain a closed flock. No chickens leave my yard alive, so I don't spread the virus. I treated with denegard, which worked really well! And every month I have to retreat with a maintenance dose to keep them healthy. Any new chicken to come in has to be treated. With the denegard I haven't had any symptoms except the occasional runny nose that goes away after the monthly dose. This is not a ideal situation but it could be worse.
    If you decide to keep these birds, this is what I would recommend. Although you might decided culling and starting over is the better option.
    Please update as you go along.

1 person likes this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

9. mattscoop

mattscoop Just Hatched

Nov 21, 2016
    yesterday when I went to give her medication I noticed her poop was green [​IMG] but shes looks the same . went to tractor supply and got me the Tylan 50 I gave her 1/2 of 1cc on her chest. Hope she is going to be better today, I dont know what would be of me with out you guys . I really appreciated and I wish y'll a happy thanksgiving.

10. mattscoop

mattscoop Just Hatched

Nov 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

Thats how her poop looks [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by