Sick chicken, respiratory?

Amp

Songster
9 Years
May 20, 2011
Alabama
Hey! I just went outside and found one of my 7 year old hens not walking around well. She has one eye that is crusty and shut, the other eye is fine. She is making a wheezing, gurgling sound. Last week we found an egg that was broken with Black runny stuff inside. It smelled horrible and I'm thinking it may have been hers. Any idea what's going on?

What breed is she?
I only ask this question because some breeds are known for not living as long as others and it may be her time.

Is she eating and drinking still?

She is an Easter Egg hen ( I think that's what she was called) I think it's more than just age, though. I'm thinking she has something going on infection wise maybe

I purchased three 6 week old chicks a week ago. Once home with them, I heard sneezing & noticed crusty noses. I read on here to try VetRX. After administering VetRX all this past week, the sumatra & polish silver laced seemed better. However, the mottled houdan is not. As of last Saturday, the crustiness has lessened, the gasping for air has lessened somewhat but now she will not open her eyes. I separated her from the other two. Today the blue sumatra won't open his eyes. No crustiness. I started them today on antibiotic..Tylan 50. Any other suggestions?

She is an Easter Egg hen ( I think that's what she was called) I think it's more than just age, though. I'm thinking she has something going on infection wise maybe
She sounds like she has a respiratory sinus infection such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Coryza can have a bad odor. Tylan 50 injectable given at 1/4 ml per pound of weight twice a day for 5 days, and you can give it orallly or by injection. Remove any drainage or pus in the eye with saline and QTips. Feed stores sell Terramycin eye ointment that can be applied twice a day into the eye.
I cannot say what caused the egg problem unless it was an old egg that hadn't been removed. There is a good thread called "Common egg quality problems" that you can search for here on BYC at the top of the page, or by Googling it. Certain bacteria such as staph or pseudomonas might cause discoloration, but there may be a food or vitamin relationship also.

Thank you for the responses. I started her on Penn G and today is day 3. She seems to be a little better today but now I have 2 other hens with very loose stools. I cleaned out the coop yesterday and I'm putting lime down today. I am keeping them all up for a while just in case it's something they got into while in the pasture.

Back
Top Bottom