Sick Chicken Still

Elizafern

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Danbury, CT
My cousin and I have a chicken that has been sick for a while now.. we tried Tetroxy HCA and had no positive result, so someone from on here told us to try the Tylan 50 but to do it orally and the chicken seemed better while we had her inside, but since we have put her back out she is sneezing again. Anyone have a clue as to what we should do now? We are bringing her back inside now. Do we medicate her again? and if so which antibiotic should we use? I was thinking to bring her back in and see how she does after a few days of just being inside, but we are just clueless as to what to do.. If someone could please help us out. She has been off the antibiotics for 8 days now. Please HELP!!??..

Is your coop dirty, as in smells? If so, you might be giving your chickens breathing problems because a lot of chicken poop can release amonia which is bad for your hens. So if that's the case clean your coop out and get stuff like stall-dry that keeps things drier. Another possible thing I remember is the possibility of a fungal respiratory infection. I don't remember how to treat it but you can look it up. The most I remember of the treatment is vaporizing a certain chemical for some amount of time but I stress, LOOK IT UP. You don't want to over/underdose. Also, if you think it might be fungal, get your head close to the chicken's head and listen. Sometimes it will sound like a low gurgling. Hope your hen gets better!

Since you've already medicated her once, I'm not sure if medicating her again is a good idea or not. Put her in a warm and quiet place. Make sure she seems comfortable and not terrified of being inside, (no kids picking up etc.)

I use a method I've always used for ill birds of any kind. I'll link the page where I describe it since it took me a while to explain to someone else: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738116/help/10 Please read my post, #15 for information.

Making the bird warm, calm and comfortable, and away from other birds* is the first thing. Hopefully she can sleep that way and that is half the battle. Mine seem to really understand that I am helping them when I do this.

*Unless your birds are not pets, and are fearful of humans. In which case it might be preferable to leave her in your coop.

Since you recently put her back outside, I wonder if the change in temps was too drastic, so she fell ill again. Where you live, since she's been back out, has it been around 35- 40 degrees at the lowest? If not, maybe that's the cause?

When mine have been ill, I make sure they go back out to their buddies on a night above freezing temps, and with a heat lamp in the coop for a few days to transition.

Also, it sounds like you ran the full course of antibiotics? (7-ish days?) I think I remember hearing they have to have it the whole week, without interruption, in order to build their immune system back up.

Hmm, I hope this helps.

We live in connecticut. the weather was nice for a couple of days, Deff above freezing. She started to sneeze the same day we brought her back out, like within an hour of being back out. And yes we did give her the full days antibiotic. Well we were told to only do the Tylan for 5 days. So thats all we did it for. She we just keep her in for a few days to a week to see if she gets better or should we do the Tylan again?

We live in connecticut. the weather was nice for a couple of days, Deff above freezing. She started to sneeze the same day we brought her back out, like within an hour of being back out. And yes we did give her the full days antibiotic. Well we were told to only do the Tylan for 5 days. So thats all we did it for. She we just keep her in for a few days to a week to see if she gets better or should we do the Tylan again?

Oh boy, I don't know. I hope someone here can help you answer that question. I'm not qualified to answer, I'm afraid. If she seems in distress or ill, then certainly bring her back in. Odd that it was 5 days, as usually these drugs require about a week to 10 days I thought, (most antibiotics, if that's what Tylan is...)

Sneezing again within an hour, hmmm.

I wish I could be more help!

Back
Top Bottom