Sick Chicken, URGENT HELP REQUIRED.

drjackie

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
My chicken is ill. She is weak and lethargic and only had one eye open. Her faeces are yellow and runny and clear discharge is coming from her mouth. Her comb has turned a lighter colour and she seems like she cannot support her own weight. She seems depressed. One of my other chickens showed the same symptoms 3 days ago but whatever it was passed yesterday however it is more severe with this one. I am unable to take her to the vet. I suspected Blackhead but her comb has gone lighter, not darker. Please help, she means a lot to me.

Last edited:
Thank you.
smile.png

Does anyone else have any ideas?? Please, she means a lot to me.

Please more information...how old is she....what do you feed her....how long have you had her... where do you live....any new chickens come to your house.....this would help alot...

Quote:

Quote:

I've had her since she was 2 months old for around 2 years. There have been no new chickens for over a year and I feed her layers pellet with the occasional goodies. I live in Melbourne, Australia.

Quote:

I've had her since she was 2 months old for around 2 years. There have been no new chickens for over a year and I feed her layers pellet with the occasional goodies. I live in Melbourne, Australia.

OK, first off, isolate, get her warm, [its summer by you right???] give vitamin water, high energy foods, bananas, mealworms,eggs that sort of thing. What medications do you have at home, if any?

Quote:

OK, first off, isolate, get her warm, [its summer by you right???] give vitamin water, high energy foods, bananas, mealworms,eggs that sort of thing. What medications do you have at home, if any?

I've already isolated her, yes it is summer. How do you mean vitamin water? I have no medicine for chickens though...

Pedialyte with/out iron is OK, if nothing else water down some Gatorade [don't know what you have down yonder of that sort of thing] 1/2 and 1/2 mix......
Is she interested in eating / drinking?
Also, do you have anything that the chickens could have eaten lately that might not have been "right" like spoiled/mouldy etc..?

Quote:

I've already isolated her, yes it is summer. How do you mean vitamin water? I have no medicine for chickens though...

I don't give oystershell calcium, I don't believe either have layed recently. Yes we have Gatorade but I do not know what Pedialyte is. She seems weary of what she eats but is interested.

Back
Top Bottom