Sick chicken, what could it have been?

HeNnPeNY001

Hatching
Sep 5, 2022
Hi first time on here.
Can anyone help me identify why my hen got sick and died.

I found her sitting beside the water five days ago, she was wet under her chin and when I picked her up and moved her I noticed a gurgling sound from her crop and some fluid came from her beak when I picked her up. She sat back down and didn't want to go anywhere, tail down. I knew she wasn't right. I separated her from the flock, she had a dirty vent so I Epson salt warm soaked her. I put her in a cage with heat and gave her some oxymav b antibiotic water which she willingly drank. The next morning she pepped up was eating and drinking well. Due to the fact I couldn't see any nasal discharge and she wasn't showing signs of respiratory issues other than the gurgling from below I stopped the antibiotics and thought possibly it could be the start of coccidiosis due to her vent being dirty again and I had introduced two new hen two weeks ago one with a very mucky bum despite cleaning, worming and isolation fro two weeks before introducing to our flock.
So I began amprolium 200 coccidiosis treatment.
By day three she was happy and bouncing around ready to go back so I placed her back with the flock and for the next two days appeared great. This morning I can into the coup to find her in a terrible way in her nest lots of diarrhoea and face down. I took her out and isolated her knowing she was likely dieing. She began leaking discharge from her beak and clear fluid from her bum. She passed away three hours later.

I've currently got amprolium in with the other chickens.

What am I missing? Is there anything else I need to do or should do? Not sure what happened to her.

I'm sorry about your hen.

Really the only way to know why she died would be to have a necropsy.
Contact your vet or agriculture ministry to check into that.

For laying hen, often they suffer from reproductive issues. Drinking a lot of water sounds like a crop symptom but to know what the underlying cause of that a necropsy would shed light on that.

I'm sorry about your hen.

Really the only way to know why she died would be to have a necropsy.
Contact your vet or agriculture ministry to check into that.

For laying hen, often they suffer from reproductive issues. Drinking a lot of water sounds like a crop symptom but to know what the underlying cause of that a necropsy would shed light on that.
Thankyou. I am sad as she is only 9 months old and just started laying so well. Such a sweet girl too. I'm super nervous about the rest of the flock now. I just hope it was a issue with her and not some sort of disease.

Back
Top Bottom