Sick Chicken with mint green poop?? (video/pic). Please help.

undergroundchickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Utah
Hi,

I have a chicken that seemed just fine yesterday. I let my girls out every evening to free range in the back yeard. This gal wondered out last and very slow holding her rear end up and head down. She doesn't look to have much strength and holds her wings out and drooped down. She came out and got a drink from our pond and then slowly went back into the run and ate a little oyster shell. I looked her over and found that her crop is small and only had the little bit of water and shell in it that she had just eaten. She showed no interest in the food scraps I threw out to the girls. This is usually my most energetic chicken. Can someone please tell me what might be wrong with her? Thanks!

Update: I went out and checked on her. She is on her night perch and has laid a soft shelled egg in the dark. She has also thrown up what she had eaten earlier....mostly clear water with a little bit of corn and oystershell.

Update from today 6-17-11:

Now she has mint green poop (pic in post below) and is not doing well. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Click here to see video of her.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. EE, 1 year 3 months old.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She seems tired and weak. She holds her tail up and head down with drooping wings. Closes eyes and stands still holding this position.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Today.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Water and oyster shell other than that her crop feels empty.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Haven't seen her go in the half hour we watched her.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Rather treat myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use She lives in a coop with run. There are wood shavings in the nesting boxes with bare floor. The run is strait dirt. She gets to free range a few hours a day. Fed 16% layer mash, water and oyster shell. No changes in diet for 2 months.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it looks like she has the same thing my hens do. They're fine and then all of a sudden they aren't. Watch her very closely and immediately separate her from the flock. If she starts having a mint green feces. You should cull her. Clorox your coop top to bottom and watch the other hens closely. Every 6-8 weeks Clorox the coop again and keep a very very close on their feces. If any of it is mint green then your flock is probably infected. I have no idea what it is but the disease is horrible. If possible have a necropsy done on her to find out what happened so you can better treat your flock. I've lost 4 hens in a few months to whatever this is. And since I don't know what it is I haven't been able to treat them when they get sick, plus none of the antibiotics seem to be working.

I hope she gets better.

Last edited:
Thank you for your information Kitty Cat. I hope your problem resolves itself.

I checked on her this AM and she seems almost 100% better. I let her out to free range all day. I wonder if she just needed to lay but something was holding it off??? I can't explain the loss of her crop contents but she has been eating ok so far today. Strange. Crossing fingers that she continues to get better.
big_smile.png
I have gotten pretty attached to my girls. I hate to see any of them suffer.

Well today she is not acting well again. She has spent most of the day in the nest box. I got her out to see if she would get a drink and she does but then walks right back to the nest box and lays down again. When I pulled her out I noticed a wet spot where her behind had been and upon looking closer in the wood shavings she has mint green poop.
sad.png
Now I am really worried after reading Kitty Cats post.

54147_mintgreenpoop.png

Does anyone know what could be causing these symptoms?

You stated that she drank from a pond. Is there algae in the pond? If she ate algae, that could be the problem. Algae can be deadly to chickens, it is a biotoxin.

Last edited:
There isn't any free floating algae in the pond. The chickens have been sneaking over to my husbands dog dishes that they can reach through the fence and they do have free floating algae in them quite often. If it is the algae what can I do to make her better? I will make my husband move his dog dishes to a place the chickens can't reach them.

Unfortunately I have tried Sulmet twice but it didn't do anything. I think it's Infectious Bursal Disease, which there is no cure for and no way to really prevent it. They said you have to be very diligent about sanitizing your coop. It hangs around for a long time. Basically what it does is suppress the immune system, most chickens usually die from some other disease. Letting them out to free range as much as possible (all day if you can) seems to help them get better but then in a few weeks it comes back again. So I'm just going to just start keeping them free range and Cloroxing my coop every two or three weeks and hope that it all goes away eventually. And of course pray no stop that the Lord will heal all of them.

For my chickens that were as sick as your is, I hand fed them for a week and gave them as many antibiotics as I could and they still died. If her poop looks like it mighht have undigested grass in it I would just cull her. You might try a penicillin shot, I haven't tried that yet. It might help. But keep her away from all the other chickens to reduce the spreading and Clorox your coop ASAP to help prevent contamination.

The link you posted for the rooster actually is what ours is like. My rooster's comb turned black at the tip and a few of my reds started to do the same. However as I said, the Sulmet did nothing. We thought it might be Salmonella as well, but Sulmet treats that too. At this point I think it's just whoever survives, survives. I've put calls into the nearest poultry vet but nothing so far. I'll make sure to let you know if I find out anything else, or if the vet calls back.

Also DO NOT EAT YOUR EGGS!!! I'm not 100% positive that whatever this is cannot be transmitted to humans. Just throw your eggs in the trash.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information Kitty Kat.

I treated all my chickens with Sulmet for 3 days. Princess is back to her old self for now. I hope she stays that way.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom