Sick chicken?

Ruth028

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
Hi, I have a female leghorn chicken. She is normally running around and trying to get outside but today I noticed she wasn't doing any of that. She just stays up in the roosting area and just stands there. She is very slow and has a dark limp comb. I think its poop that is covering her vent feathers and I don't think shes eating.
I just broke an egg for my other girls and her to eat and she didn't run to it and or eat it. She just looked at it and slowly walked away while the others are still their crazy and healthy selves.
Oh, and shes our best layer but she hasn't laid in awhile.

Anyone know whats going on?

Thanks

Hi, I have a female leghorn chicken. She is normally running around and trying to get outside but today I noticed she wasn't doing any of that. She just stays up in the roosting area and just stands there. She is very slow and has a dark limp comb. I think its poop that is covering her vent feathers and I don't think shes eating.
I just broke an egg for my other girls and her to eat and she didn't run to it and or eat it. She just looked at it and slowly walked away while the others are still their crazy and healthy selves.
Oh, and shes our best layer but she hasn't laid in awhile.

Anyone know whats going on?

Thanks

Definitely signs something is amiss - however not quite enough to pinpoint just what it is. A little more information might help us to help you.
How old is the bird?
How long have you had her?
Have there been any recent additions or losses in the flock?
Is the bird currently in production?
If you are close to her do you hear any odd noises associated with her breathing?
Any discharge from the eyes, beak or nostrils?
What sort of waste is covering her vent feathering - is it normal in color or not, is it causing her to have an unpleasant odor?
Pick her up - how is her body condition?

*I* would isolate her to a quiet place where she can rest and be observed *and* will not being putting the rest of the flock at further risk of exposure to whatever is ailing her -- a nice dark, comfortably temperate place with food and water easily accessible. This will also allow you to better monitor her intake of food/water as well as to better see her waste so you can assess that for clues as to what is going on.

She is just under 2 years
I Have has her for just under 2 years ( since she was a chick)
About about a year and a half ago I lost a chicken to sour crop, my leghorn, Maggie, never met her.
She is not laying any eggs and hasn't for a good month
No discharge around the eyes, mouth, or nose.
No odd noises when breathing
The waste is light brown with mushy white and some yellow.
When I pick her up she actually feels a bit heavy then usaul and thick i guess? She isn't tense but she isn't limp when I hold her. She lets me do what I want and her head stays close to her body (Not moving around/ stretching). Also very slow reacting.
When I checked her she is not loosing any feathers, has no wounds and no bugs.

Thanks

You mentioned she feels heavier then normal maybe? Check her body condition again carefully, does she feel bloated or swollen in her lower abdomen, like from between the legs back to the vent area? Check a normal bird first so you will quickly feel the difference if she is. There are several things that can cause this but check her first to see if that's even an issue.

You mentioned she feels heavier then normal maybe? Check her body condition again carefully, does she feel bloated or swollen in her lower abdomen, like from between the legs back to the vent area? Check a normal bird first so you will quickly feel the difference if she is. There are several things that can cause this but check her first to see if that's even an issue.

There is no bloating,

I would also just like to add that she is drinking some water from time to time if that helps.

I brought her down and allowed her to walk around for a while, she walked a little and pecked at a few things but went back inside the coop. I locked up the girls and went inside, when I came back out a few hours later to lock them up for the night she was in the same place I saw her last and was lieing on the ground. Still very slow reacting. Some waste came out, it was kinda clear and goopy.

Please help

Okay thanks and no new birds, don't think we ever dewormed them but we did give them pumkin seeds a few months ago. Those naturally deworm right?

Back
Top Bottom