Sick chicken

rasctiseslkl

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2016
I got some game chickens yesterday and one is blind and being beat up. What would you all suggest we do. This is our first time in raising them. We have it in the house in one of our dog crates. I'm hoping it don't die. WetrWetre doing everything we can to see to it that it lives. Any help given will be helpful. Thank you. rasctiseslkl

That's a tough break. Did you notice it before you bought it? Personally I would not want to keep a blind chicken. I know some people do but you would need to take extra care of it. If you have the time and don't mind it then fine. I would put it in the pot for stock. You really don't get a lot of meat from game birds, in fact very little.

It is just 6/7 weeks old. I'm going to try to give it a life. I got 12 for free and it was in there. Being blind don't bother me. If I have to keep in house I will.

I used to have a hen that was blind in one eye but not both. I think if you plan of keeping it the first thing would be to put out of general population and in a place where it couldn't roam more than a few feet. Take it to the food and water until it can find it on its own. I would try to find a gentle friend for it to spend time with, after all it is a flock being. I understand completely that you already love and want to care for it. I believe it is possible so go for it.

Right now have in house. Looks as if both eyes are messed up. I put in small dog crate with food and water. And some pine bedding.don't know if male or female. Will I be able to put in with others when older or do I have to make a small pen for it.

woot.gif
Being a new chicken farmer just since March of this year, I have already fallen in love with all 25 of my chickens. If I had a chicken with a disability it would continue to be loved and cared for. Kudos to rasctiseslkl!!

If it can't see then probably it needs a small area to get around in. I would try to match it up with a friend though because they are flock critters. It will get use to getting around in a small area. It will still want to scratch in the dirt and feel like a chicken. 6-week old is old enough to want to be outside. Be sure and put it's beak in the water and food several times a day until it knows where to go. If it has a buddy it will hear them eating, drinking, scratching, laying, etc. and probably be able to stay near it.

A gentle, agreeable pen mate would be a comfort. As others said the blind one, if not deaf, will listen and follow sighted pen mate. I think I would build a pen for it. The prn doesn't have to be real small either. You just need to keep everything in same place and make sure it knows where everything is. I would use a chicken ladder or ramp up to the roost. Speak to bird when you approach so it doesn't sppok. You could put chicken diaper on and have a house chicken. I have a Bantam that comes in at night and whenever winter time temps are too cold. He is 100 per cent healthy and five years old.

Please check out "People with House chickens," thread. It is especially good for "special" chickens. The humans become it's flock. It won't get pecked, or bullied or carried away by predators. You can signify your presence by wearing a bell. Or using the bell for special times - like bringing out food. I wonder if it is blind because the birds it came with attacked it.

I had a deaf dog and since it would "start" if you suddenly touched it - I worked out gestures. If It was sleeping or I wanted to call it over. First I would smack my hand on the floor near her. She would feel the vibrations and get up. Once her eyes were open I would make hand gestures and she would come to me. She almost acted embarrassed like she didn't hear my call and thought she had to hurry over.

She wasn't born deaf. Our vet said she had a minor infection(after spaying) so gave her gentocin. She was totally deaf by the next day and very fearful.

Back
Top Bottom