Sick Chicken

Nobodyknowsme

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 15, 2016
Ballarat, Australia
I've got a sick chook and this is the third day of her not being herself. The last few days she has been sitting in the one spot for a while, eating little and drinking a lot of water. Yesterday I noticed her poop was watery white and this morning I felt her crop which was still full. If she has a impacted crop can this make her weak and unable to walk? I rang a vet but they wanted a $300 get out of bed fee which I just don't have at the moment. I've given her 2.5ml of olive oil and massaged her crop for 15 minutes which I'll repeat a few times day. Hope someone here can help. Thanks. Jay.

You can try to get her to throw up, try reading some other posts on here about that. Its a good sign that she is drinking and pooping, you can try to feed her grapes since they would be hydrating and nutritious. Try AVC, yogurt, epsom salt bath...

Thanks so much for the quick reply!! I haven't noticed her poop today, all she's been doing is sitting in the sun (It's winter here at the moment). Should I be feeding her solid food if I can feel her crop is full?

She probably wont eat if her crop is full anyway, maybe yogurt would work well then or try blending some fruit? keep trying to massage the crop, sometimes the efforts can be futile if the impaction isn't budging though

Hi am new to this, my silkie is broody and I've just taken her out the coop for food and water, she has just taken a huge broody poo and there is a little blood in it, can this be normal, I've not seen her out the coop for 3 days that's why I forced her out by picking her up, can it be normal for there to be blood if she has held it in to long and will she be ok

Thanks for the info. Late yesterday I noticed that her poop was less runny with half white like yoghurt and some solids which were green. Today I checked her crop which was still full and have been massaging it. She had some water with AVC and yoghurt and also ate some layer pallets which I soaked in rice milk. Her lasted poop is more solid and green in colour and not much white at all. I have also set up a heat lamp to keep her warm. She is more alter but just weak still.

Hi am new to this, my silkie is broody and I've just taken her out the coop for food and water, she has just taken a huge broody poo and there is a little blood in it, can this be normal, I've not seen her out the coop for 3 days that's why I forced her out by picking her up, can it be normal for there to be blood if she has held it in to long and will she be ok

Chickens sometimes shed intestinal lining and I've seen blood once in a great while.. as far as I know if it doesnt happen again for quite sometime it could just be a fluke

Thanks for the info. Late yesterday I noticed that her poop was less runny with half white like yoghurt and some solids which were green. Today I checked her crop which was still full and have been massaging it. She had some water with AVC and yoghurt and also ate some layer pallets which I soaked in rice milk. Her lasted poop is more solid and green in colour and not much white at all. I have also set up a heat lamp to keep her warm. She is more alter but just weak still.

I read just now something about manuka honey, and crushed garlic (not mixed together though). They are good for sickness in general I know, but I think I recall limiting raw garlic intake by chickens?

Back
Top Bottom