Sick Chicken

I'm so sorry : ( totally wouldn't propose to be able to diagnose. But I think if that really is blood u see, u need to get her away from the others ASAP. Do they free range?

Can you give a bit more information?
You are seeing a lot of blood in her poop?
How long have you had her, is she new to your flock or property?
Do you see any blood coming from her vent?

A picture of the poo would be good.

You may want to separate her so you can monitor her water/food intake. Check her over for any lice/mites.

If she has a lot of blood in her poop, you may want to start her on some Corid just in case it's Cocci (the Corid is mild and won't hurt even if it's not Cocci). Also check her for egg binding, gently feel inside her vent about an inch to see if you feel and egg. Has she been wormed lately?

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
X2...more info is needed. I am leaning toward Coccidiosis as well.

Since they free range, maybe she ate something she shouldn't have by mistake? They know what to eat but I say that because she was fine yesterday. Seems sudden. If she hasn't been sluggish or anything before now makes me think she might of gotten into something. If u Can u get ur hands on her u might check for anything unusual. They do get stung and bit by snakes even tho it hardly ever happens. It's happened to mine tho.

I have called 2 feed stores and they do now have Corid.

Oh, I see you are in Canada.
Ask for Sulmet which is different from Corid, but along the same lines or you can ask for amprollium or Ampromed.
I think the last person that I helped that lived in Canada actually had to get Corid and maybe even the Sulmet from a vet.

In the mean time, keep her separated. Push fluids - if you have electrolytes offer those in her water. If she will eat offer wet feed and extra protein like egg, mackerel or meat.

Let us know how she is doing.

Hi . Thanks for your help. Its a long week end here and vets are not open until Tuesday.I separated her from the rest. She is eating a little yogurt but thats about it.i will try to get Sulmet or any of the others Tuesday. Will keep to posted. Thanks again.

Hi i Spoke to a farmer here and he says its very rare to see Coccidiosis in adult chickens here . He has over 200 chickens. He seemed to think she is egg bound or eat something that was not good for her.. Tried sitting her in warm water and used some preparation h ointment But still no egg today. She seems to have a little more energy today and eating a little more and drinking a little water. I mixed some medicated chick grower with some yogurt to see if that helps. She is not as pale, but only has a little pink colour. See what happens tomorrow. He is so difficult when I do not know what is wrong with her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom