Sick Chicken

Hi Wyorp Rock. My chicken is a little more active today but still not eating much. The same farmer told me if a flock is treated with
Corid or Sulmet that eggs can not be used. Is this true? I also noticed blood in my chicken coop this morning just looked like it ran down the side of 1 nest. Was not from the sick one because she is separated. But the rest look and are acting Normal.. Really confused here.Thanks again for your help.

Hi Wyorp Rock. My chicken is a little more active today but still not eating much. The same farmer told me if a flock is treated with
Corid or Sulmet that eggs can not be used. Is this true? I also noticed blood in my chicken coop this morning just looked like it ran down the side of 1 nest. Was not from the sick one because she is separated. But the rest look and are acting Normal.. Really confused here.Thanks again for your help.

There is no withdrawal for Corid. I understand you live in Canada, but in the US no withdrawal at all.
Corid is a Thiamine blocker, which is what Cocci feeds on, this helps to stop the growth of Cocci until the chicken can build immunity. Corid will treat all strains of Cocci.

Sulmet is an antibacterial formula that only treats 2 strains of Cocci. It may have withdrawal times for it. I think it is 10days. Corid is more favorable since it treats more strains.

Finding blood in the coop is never a good sign. Check them all over really well to make sure they have no wounds/cuts. But if the blood is in the poop, then you will want to treat them when you can. Corid would be best.

Photos of the bloody poop and the blood you found in the coop would also be helpful.

Hi Wyorp Rock. I ordered this from Amazon. it will take about 15 days to get. The only place I could get it. Hope they will be ok until then. Hope it is the right one.

Last edited:
Wyorp Roc.Thanks a lot again. Will keep you posted on things. Would it be ok to put the almost well chicken with the rest tonight . She is outside with the rest now

If she is getting along with everyone she may be fine with the others. Chickens are much happier with the flock. Watch and see how she does and go from there.

Hi Wyorp Rock. The sick chicken seems to be doing well with others. I am still feeding them some of the Medicated Chick Starter along with their Lay Pellets. This is the Medication thats in The Chick starter. Just wondering if eggs will be ok to eat. How long should I give then the chick starter? The Corid will not be here until about 2 weeks. It says on the chick starter not to feed to Laying hens.Maybe its because there is more Protein and less Calcium.. Just hope it is not harmful to the girls. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...nts/mib/mib-7/eng/1330721504482/1330721608697. Another thing. The chickens are 13 months old and never had a problem with them until now. Their life style has been the same except that I grow oats in pots and feed them when they are about 4 inches high. I just put the whole pot in their Run and the eat all and dig all the soil out for roots. My Nephew was saying that it may be the Top Soil i use to grow the oats. The Top Soil was bought at Walmart. Just another thought. Thanks again for your help

Last edited:
Hi Wyorp Rock. The sick chicken seems to be doing well with others. I am still feeding them some of the Medicated Chick Starter along with their Lay Pellets. This is the Medication thats in The Chick starter. Just wondering if eggs will be ok to eat. How long should I give then the chick starter? The Corid will not be here until about 2 weeks. It says on the chick starter not to feed to Laying hens.Maybe its because there is more Protein and less Calcium.. Just hope it is not harmful to the girls. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...nts/mib/mib-7/eng/1330721504482/1330721608697. Another thing. The chickens are 13 months old and never had a problem with them until now. Their life style has been the same except that I grow oats in pots and feed them when they are about 4 inches high. I just put the whole pot in their Run and the eat all and dig all the soil out for roots. My Nephew was saying that it may be the Top Soil i use to grow the oats. The Top Soil was bought at Walmart. Just another thought. Thanks again for your help
I do not know about the Zoalene, you will want to research that. Most medicated feeds contain Amprol so no withdrawal on that.

You may be right about using purchase top soil in growing your fodder, they very well could pick up another strain of cocci from that. You may want to try to source your dirt from your property or look at some of the Fodder threads here on BYC.

Hello, I am having an issue that has been affecting my flock. Some of their backs are completly missing feathers. Another problem I have is I have lost three chickens to a random disease, they start standing out by not moving much and sleeping and then they just stop walking and die. I want to get to the bottom of this so the rest of my flock stays healthy.

Back
Top Bottom