Sick chicken

I have had wonderful success with the information I gathered on this site for the "cure"of my chicks.

This is what my husband and I did:
We hatched 3 chicks on Dec 15, 2016. They were healthy and growing quickly until 5 weeks old. Then Mareks took over. The first one died quite quickly, she displayed weakness, stumbling, puffed body... the usual symptoms. She did not have the ocular version. The other 2, one a roo and the other a pullet started to show symptoms as well. My husband and I read many replys on this sight and decided to start treatment. We felt that the pullet would die within hours and she was hopeless but the roo had a chance.

First, we made the yogurt mixed with a grain mash adding 1 full capsule of Cats Claw, (Uncaria tomentosa 500mg) in a small ramekin dish. My husband is very knowledgeable about herbs and natural remedies and knew that Cats Claw was very important. Within 2 days there was remarkable improvement. We continued the mash and cats claw for 2 weeks, feeding every morning. We left for a 2 week holiday and our neighbour took care of the chickens. But, the treatment from the neighbour during that time stopped. When we returned both young patients were ill and the pullet again was seriously affected and unable to get up.

We researched again on this forum and added more to our regiment;
1) colloidal silver by mouth daily a few drops- this kills bacteria and viruses and can be purchased in a pet store. The plain natural yogurt with probiotics will replace the bacteria in the gut.
2) to the 1 tsp. yogurt add ground grain to make a stiffer mixture so the birds can peck at it and put it in a small ramekin
add St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum 100mg) plus the Cats Claw ( 500 mg). FEED DAILY. The St. Johns Wort calms the nervous system as Mareks affects the nerves and the Cats Claw is anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial (viral and bacterial), anti-oxidant, and anti-fungal. It has been used to treat Herpes as well so take some when you have cold sores!
3) We also added vitamins to the drinking water.

This we fed every day for many weeks and the improvement was obvious. Every day the walking and balancing improved. The neighbour could not believe it as she thought they were both going to die.

This remedy, in our opinion and experience is the best treatment for Mareks that we have discovered. If the birds are now carriers or are in remission we have no way of knowing.

They are both 4 months old now and perfectly healthy and foraging in the yard all day.
Thank you to all on the forum for your advice and to my husband for adding his knowledge of herbs.

I have had wonderful success with the information I gathered on this site for the "cure"of my chicks.  

This is what my husband and I did:
We hatched 3 chicks on Dec 15, 2016.  They were healthy and growing quickly until 5 weeks old.  Then Mareks took over.  The first one died quite quickly, she displayed weakness, stumbling, puffed body... the usual symptoms.  She did not have the ocular version.  The other 2, one a roo and the other a pullet started to show symptoms as well. My husband and I read many replys on this sight and decided to start treatment.  We felt that the pullet would die within hours and she was hopeless but the roo had a chance.

First, we made the yogurt mixed with a grain mash adding 1 full capsule of Cats Claw, (Uncaria tomentosa 500mg) in a small ramekin dish.  My husband is very knowledgeable about herbs and natural remedies and knew that Cats Claw was very important.  Within 2 days there was remarkable improvement. We continued the mash and cats claw for  2 weeks, feeding every morning. We left for a 2 week holiday and our neighbour took care of the chickens. But, the treatment from the neighbour during that time stopped. When we returned both young patients were ill and the pullet again was seriously affected and unable to get up.

We researched again on this forum and added more to our regiment;
1) colloidal silver by mouth daily a few drops- this kills bacteria and viruses and can be purchased in a pet store. The plain natural yogurt with probiotics will replace the bacteria in the gut.
2) to the 1 tsp. yogurt add ground grain to make a stiffer mixture so the birds can peck at it and put it in a small ramekin
   add St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum 100mg) plus the Cats Claw ( 500 mg). FEED DAILY. The St. Johns Wort calms the nervous system as Mareks affects the nerves and the Cats Claw is [COLOR=555555]anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial (viral and bacterial), anti-oxidant, and anti-fungal. [/COLOR] It has been used to treat Herpes as well so take some when you have cold sores!
3) We also added vitamins to the drinking water.

This we fed every day for many weeks and the improvement was obvious.  Every day the walking and balancing improved. The neighbour could not believe it as she thought they were both going to die.

This remedy, in our opinion and experience is the best treatment for Mareks that we have discovered.  If the birds are now carriers or are in remission we have no way of knowing.

They are both 4 months old now and perfectly healthy and foraging in the yard all day.
Thank you to all on the forum for your advice and to my husband for adding his knowledge of herbs.

Did you get a diagnosis of Mareks disease with a vet necropsy of the chick that died? A necropsy with examination and testing of feather follicles or tumors is the only common way to diagnose Mareks. Many diseases can cause the symptoms that you were seeing ( weakness, puffing up, and stumbling) in a 5 week old chick, especially coccidiosis. Not saying they didn't have it, or disagreeing with you, but having 3 young chickens all with Mareks having a complete recovery would be very rare. I'm happy they are doing well.

Thank you Hanberg! Definitely worth the try ill check my local pet store tomorrow to see if I can find the colloidal silver and st John's wort. Any idea where I can find the cats claw?
EGGCESSIVE- I believe it was you who suggested the polyvisol and they don't have it at my tsc nor any poultry vitamins with b2, however i did get a product Nutri-drench and durastat which are both vitamin rich along with probiotics I mixed it with some of her feed crushed and water and she wanted nothing to do with it so I soaked some bread in the liquid and she gobbled it right up. I also had her in a sling all day today and she seems very unsure of it. Periodically flapping like she wants to get out of it, do you think I should keep her in it?
CASPORTPONY- I did take a video today but couldn't figure out how to post it, then got distracted with the duties of the day I will take some pictures of her tomorrow. Anything specific you'd like me to focus on?

Also should I be concerned she hasn't lagged an egg since this all happened now 5 days?

EGGCESSIVE- I believe it was you who suggested the polyvisol and they don't have it at my tsc nor any poultry vitamins with b2, however i did get a product Nutri-drench and durastat which are both vitamin rich along with probiotics
I mixed it with some of her feed crushed and water and she wanted nothing to do with it so I soaked some bread in the liquid and she gobbled it right up. I also had her in a sling all day today and she seems very unsure of it. Periodically flapping like she wants to get out of it, do you think I should keep her in it?

Also should I be concerned she hasn't lagged an egg since this all happened now 5 days?
Glenda Heywood
May I suggest what we do to get the hens to eat the
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
I used this and they gobble it up.
1 cup of dry mash
1/8 cup of fla seed meal
2 cups of milk any kind
1/2 cup of plain yougart
1tsp of apple cider vinegar
add you probiotics
mix good after putting in your probiotics
NOTE HIS IF THE acv WILL DESTROY THE PROBIOTICS LEAVE IT OUT WSWHILE FEEDING ANY KIND OF MEDICATION.
With all that said now here is what you need for just 1 hen
feed 3 tbsp. of mixed wet ash and feed the rest to the healthy hen as it will not hurt them.

so in that case you have to mix every thing and then take out the 3 tbsp. for the sick chicken and put the probiotics you are feeding her.
NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT
take her amount in a glass saucer and put on top 3 tbsp. of apple sauce.
FOR THE HEALTHY HENS put their amt in a glass large pie plate maybe two and then dress the top with apple sauce,

you have to measure out 3 tbsp. of dry mash for every hen eating the wet mash probiotic recipe
and what ever amt of dry mash or pellets you use to make the mix double the amt of milk any kind for the mix.

Also I add 1-400 mg of vitE(cut end of capsule and put in wet mash mix) and a Vit B complex pill crushed to the mix.
these vitamins are for each chicken sik
It really works and my daughter uses this 3 times a week. she has 10 hens
She adds 1/2 cup of flax meal to the mix for the hens Omega 3.
hope this works for you

Last edited:
Hello Bite the Dust.

I purchased the colloidal silver at Pet Valu it comes in a brown bottle with dropper and the cat's claw and st. john's wort at a local vitamin health product store that is privately owned. The cat's claw is only $8 per bottle. It takes a lot perservirence and dedication for the long term treatment needed, I hope your chicken recovers.

Hello Eggcessive:

Unfortunately we did not take the first chick (hatched mid Dec. 2016) that died to have her examined. I do know that coccidiosis has similar symptoms but does it also appear at 5 week old chicks?
I read that it is classic of Mareks.
Here is some background:
Mareks came to our yard via a gift from a chicken breeder friend of a bantam wyandotte hen. Before that we never had any disease in our small flock for 10 years. When the wyandotte died after a few months living with us, the breeder remarked that his hens carry Mareks and many die from it and it is prevalent in wyandottes even though he inoculates them after hatching. Since then we have had 2 deaths that appeared with similar symptoms and one with the ocular disease included. That makes 4 chickens in total that I believe all had Mareks.
We cleaned and disinfected the chicken coop and boxes in the Fall of 2016 before winter. The fertile eggs were laid in the same box as all the chickens in the barn use. We incubated them in the hatchery in our basement. The 3 young chicks never entered the barn with the other hens and developed the disease in our basement. I am told that Mareks is very hard to irradicate and they could have encountered the virus in the egg stage. Is this possible? I only washed the eggs gently with water before incubating.

None of the dead chickens and chick were confirmed to have Mareks by a vet, but I just went with our chicken breeder friend's diagnosis. I guess our yard now has the virus.
We are just happy that the remaining 2 chicks survived and we wanted to share our experience with others. Whatever they had is now gone.

Ok so the more the days pass the more I'm thinking it might be an injury in her leg somewhere. Is it possible that she would have her droppings the way they are because of an injury? If it is an injury what the best way to splint it? since she won't stay in her sling I made her. Also how long about would it take to heal?
I've been giving her Mrs Glenda heywoodo's concoction with the addition of the durastat I purchased. Nothing has changed in her she is neither worse or better. Before I gave her the concoction her poop looked nothing like poop it was looking more like water and pellets and now it Just looks like the concoction. Another theory is could it be a problem with her stomach function or other organs since it seems like she is not processing what she's consuming? but the leg thing is still a mystery.
She seems in normal spirits since giving her the mash mix. She leaped out of her sling twice today and then i stopped putting her in it and she hobbled all the way across my yard where the other girls are while I wasn't looking. Poor girl is probably missing her sisters!

Ok so the more the days pass the more I'm thinking it might be an injury in her leg somewhere. Is it possible that she would have her droppings the way they are because of an injury? If it is an injury what the best way to splint it? since she won't stay in her sling I made her. Also how long about would it take to heal?
I've been giving her Mrs Glenda heywoodo's concoction with the addition of the durastat I purchased. Nothing has changed in her she is neither worse or better. Before I gave her the concoction her poop looked nothing like poop it was looking more like water and pellets and now it Just looks like the concoction. Another theory is could it be a problem with her stomach function or other organs since it seems like she is not processing what she's consuming? but the leg thing is still a mystery.
She seems in normal spirits since giving her the mash mix. She leaped out of her sling twice today and then i stopped putting her in it and she hobbled all the way across my yard where the other girls are while I wasn't looking. Poor girl is probably missing her sisters!
The wet mash probiotic recipe is what will help her gut flora to heal. I would put Vit E 1000 mg and Vit BComplex.
then with the vitamin E capsule cut the end and put it in the wet mash
the vitamin B Complex you have to crush the pill in a tablespoon and put in wet mash
keep feeding her this as the gut will take couple wks to recover

Glenda Heywood post -------------
Orthopedics for Poultry Made Easy for Beginners
"D. C. Townsend" <[email protected]>
http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1 onto your browser location bar. It IS there
D C T
ORTHOPEDICS FOR POULTRY MADE EASY FOR BEGINNERS
By D.C. Townsend
These treatments have been tested and proven effective. I developed them for peafowl but they
may be used for any poultry. The key to success is to begin treatment promptly. In some cases delay
will kill or cripple the chick.
CROOKED TOES
Sometimes a peachick hatches with toes rolled into a fist. They may straighten out on their own
in the first day of life. If they do not do so, I make a CHICK SHOE (see illustration below) from
black pipe cleaner available in the crafts department at Wal-Mart. I use black ones because
bright colors are more likely to be pecked by other peachicks. One packet of Westrim Crafts Chenille
stems costs 89 cents and will last for years. Any kind of half inch wide tape can be used to attach the CHICK SHOE to the toes, but I prefer Johnson and Johnson First Aid clear tape. I cut a piece a quarter inch long for the middle toe. I cut another piece the same length and split into two quarter inch-wide pieces for the other toes. Eight hours of treatment is usually enough time to end the problem on a day-old peachick.
CHICK SHOE
Not Actual Size
HALF SHOE
Not Actual Size
In the 1995 hatch, I had a number of peachicks with a kink in the outer toe of one or both feet.
They were well past a week old when I decided that I must do something about it. I made HALF SHOES of black pipe cleaner. I tore off a quarter inch-wide stripe of duck tape several inches long and secured
the HALF SHOE to the middle and the outer toe. Several days of treatment were needed. Some of the
HALF SHOES came off and had to be taped on again, but all treated peachicks had straight toes at the
end of the treatment. There is a young peacock that I missed treating. Now it is too late and he will
always have a kink in his outer toe.
STRADDLE LEGS
This problem can occur even if you take the precaution of having quarter inch hardware cloth
under your peachicks. Sometimes it is caused by the struggles of a chick with its toes rolled into
fists. In that case, both problems must be treated at the same time. I cut a piece of tape four or
five inches long and from the HOBBLE BRACE with the legs far enough apart so that the peachick can walk. The tape must go the whole way around and cover its sticky side so that it does not stick to the
peachick's fuzz when it sits down. Usually 24 hours of treatment is sufficient, but sometimes more is
required. CHICK SHOES and the HOBBLE BRACE can be used at the same time.
HOBBLE BRACE
ACHILLES TENDON OUT OF THE GROOVE
When the Achilles tendon slips out of the groove on the hock joint, a peachick will not be able to
straighten its leg. The problem needs prompt attention because the struggling peachick will put
its weight on the hock joint which will damage the skin and cause swelling in the joint. The tendon
can be pushed back in place with just one finger or a very gentle squeeze between the thumb and index
finger. Sometimes just one treatment will give a complete cure that seems like a miracle. Other
times several treatments are needed. Stubborn cases require advanced treatment that is too difficult to
explain here. I treated both legs of a peachick for two weeks; She grew up to be a healthy peahen.

This article was originally published in the May National Poultry News
Nathalie Ross [email protected]
this article of helping chicks with problems for legs will help you

Hey you guys
1f603.png
My small buff Orpington has been doing great, she has finally began to eat and drink on her own but she has developed a swelling near her eye in her ear

Back
Top Bottom