Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kdlevesque, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Kdlevesque

Kdlevesque Songster

Jul 10, 2016
    South Carolina
    Well here she is modeling her new beauty and the beast chicken bra. Does not seem to mind it at all. My questions are... Does she only wear this at night? Does that fit look about right? I put the fabric right over the crop to give it a little lift and I didn’t know if that was the right spot. I’m gonna give this a shot and if this doesn’t work I’m going to get the charcoal. I brought her inside for a little while so that I can do a bra fitting in the air conditioning. Since I brought her in, she has been sitting in my lap and seems very content.

Attached Files:

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Very, very stylish. I'd be surprised if she doesn't feel a lift from a new frock, as any girl would. You will need to monitor the crop to determine if the fit is correct. If the crop empties, it's a proper fit. If the crop remains unchanged, incrementally adjust the fit a bit tighter and higher.

Activated charcoal is right there with the vitamins on that same aisle. It should be in every chicken first aid kit as it's good for binding toxins should you suspect a chicken has eaten something they shouldn't have.

Eggcessive likes this.
  3. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    :thumbsup Lookin' good!

4. Kdlevesque

Kdlevesque Songster

Jul 10, 2016
    South Carolina
    I have to run to the store tomorrow so I will pick up some charcoal. Do I need to take this off of her before I put her back in the run? I didn’t know if this was just for night time or is it for all the time.

5. Kdlevesque

Kdlevesque Songster

Jul 10, 2016
    South Carolina
    She seems to like her new attire

6. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You can try it during the day today and tonight for sure. The crop bra hopefully will help the crop empty completely by morning. Then having her wear the bra at night only for the next couple nights will help the crop shrink back to proper size, and then you can try sending her to bed without it to see what happens.

It's fortunate she isn't objecting to the bra. It must be your style sense and color selection that has caused her to be content with it.

BigBlueHen53 likes this.
  7. Kdlevesque

Kdlevesque Songster

Jul 10, 2016
    South Carolina
    I just went and put her back in the run and I think all the other girls are jealous. While I was sitting there, she squatted and out popped a tiny little egg.

Attached Files:

BigBlueHen53 and azygous like this.
  8. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Lol! An egg-layin' hen is a happy hen! Glad she's feeling a little better!

9. Kdlevesque

Kdlevesque Songster

Jul 10, 2016
    South Carolina
    She has not eaten all day today and I think I’ve made up my mind. If she’s not better in the morning, I think I’m ready to throw in the towel. I hate to say that but I am kind of at peace with it.She is so miserable and bless her heart she is skin and bones and I have a feeling this may have been going on longer than I thought. I have a suspicion that she has other problems than just the sour crop.

azygous likes this.
  10. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You can trust your judgement. You know your hen better than anyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: