Sick chicken

MuddinSweetie

Chirping
May 29, 2019
Is it possible for a 21 week old hen that was fed medicated feed until 18 weeks to have concodis?

I have 3 21 week Buff Orpingtons, 2 17 1/2 week old white leghorns and 1 17 1/2 week Salmon Faverolle. My Buffs just started laying eggs a couple weeks ago. It started with just one egg, then I had a few days with 2 eggs, then a few days back at 1 egg and now back to 2 eggs, so I’m not sure if all 3 are laying.

Yesterday 1 of my buffs just wasn’t acting right so I kept checking on her and she continued acted differently. So last night I brought her in the house to keep an eye on her. She had runny sort of bloody poop once. I gave her a warm soak in the tub and turned on a heater for her. She has had 2-3 more small poops with a little blood. She doesn’t act normal at all. She just stands in one spot basically and looks to be a little fluffed up and sleepy. She is uninterested in food and water or even grass which they love.

What does this sound like?

Attachments

• 4253484C-B3AB-4D5E-977E-D5F92502F5C7.jpeg
    4253484C-B3AB-4D5E-977E-D5F92502F5C7.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 10
last night I brought her in the house to keep an eye on her. She had runny sort of bloody poop once. I gave her a warm soak in the tub and turned on a heater for her. She has had 2-3 more small poops with a little blood. She doesn’t act normal at all. She just stands in one spot basically and looks to be a little fluffed up and sleepy. She is uninterested in food and water or even grass which they love.
Can you please post some photos of her poop?
Has she started laying eggs?
Have you looked at her vent to see if there is a prolapse, injury from picking or gently felt inside the vent about 1-2" for a stuck egg or broken shell?

If you are seeing blood in the poop, it won't hurt to treat for Coccidiosis. You can find Corid in the cattle section of Tractor Supply. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or
2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Let us know how she's doing.

76780624-5835-4926-905E-26B64A0A7D03.jpeg DB2CFA7D-2DF8-41ED-B6AA-FBED3FBEEC69.jpeg CA8097EC-EB87-495D-BA72-590B8B20C364.jpeg I don’t know if she is laying yet. I have 3 Buff orpingtons the same age, 21 weeks. They just started laying eggs a couple weeks ago. It started with just one egg, then I had a few days with 2 eggs, then a few days back at 1 egg and now back to 2 eggs, so I’m not sure if all 3 are laying. I had 2 eggs today in the coop without her there.
Can you please post some photos of her poop?
Has she started laying eggs?
Have you looked at her vent to see if there is a prolapse, injury from picking or gently felt inside the vent about 1-2" for a stuck egg or broken shell?

If you are seeing blood in the poop, it won't hurt to treat for Coccidiosis. You can find Corid in the cattle section of Tractor Supply. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Let us know how she's doing.

View attachment 1888863 View attachment 1888867 View attachment 1888871 I don’t know if she is laying yet. I have 3 Buff orpingtons the same age, 21 weeks. They just started laying eggs a couple weeks ago. It started with just one egg, then I had a few days with 2 eggs, then a few days back at 1 egg and now back to 2 eggs, so I’m not sure if all 3 are laying. I had 2 eggs today in the coop without her there.
What does her vent look like, any injury or prolapse?

I would start treatment with Corid asap and also consider giving an antibiotic as well.
What do you have on hand?

What does her vent look like, any injury or prolapse?

I would start treatment with Corid asap and also consider giving an antibiotic as well.
What do you have on hand?
No, her vent doesn’t look injured or prolapsed. I don’t have anything on hand. I’m making a run to a feed store this morning for Corid.

Last edited:
Can you take or send a sample to your state lab for analysis? Here in PA I can get them tested to be sure what is going on.

Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or
I stole that from the previous poster. Call local vets as well. Some do treat chickens. I really hope your girl is OK

Back
Top Bottom