Sick Chicken

TMMickey

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2020
Hi everyone! I am new to the group and am in need of some feedback...

Yesterday our hen seemed to be puffed up, and lethargic. She was eating a little the day before but then stopped, and stayed pretty stationary. Her eyes are clear (I do notice them closing more yesterday), her tummy and crop feel normal, no mites or lice. She was just kind of a puffy bump on a log. We tried giving her tuna, mealworms, food, scratch, etc, all a no go. In the morning we started Corid, Nutri Drench, and Rooster Booster, and water from a syringe.

Last night we put her in our laundry room to keep it climate controlled. She seems very alert, but just laying there (on her food bowl actually). Her poop is a bit perplexing... there are about five piles and they look about the same. She still doesn’t seem to be eating or drinking (with the exception of her syringe water). I tried putting in some scrambled eggs, but no interest so far. Here are some pictures... TIA!!!

Attachments

• C7F4EF40-9963-49C7-84C0-FC756ABF6317.jpeg
    C7F4EF40-9963-49C7-84C0-FC756ABF6317.jpeg
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 24E30F15-DB0A-4A4E-9BC1-0CDA48B9BB3C.jpeg
    24E30F15-DB0A-4A4E-9BC1-0CDA48B9BB3C.jpeg
    649.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 2C7EDF06-A43B-42B7-9FA4-9FDC207FECC5.jpeg
    2C7EDF06-A43B-42B7-9FA4-9FDC207FECC5.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 7DE67C81-3BA5-43E6-9794-AF02F58E2F69.jpeg
    7DE67C81-3BA5-43E6-9794-AF02F58E2F69.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 95EB3927-BC01-4EDF-B586-E2133100ED67.jpeg
    95EB3927-BC01-4EDF-B586-E2133100ED67.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 13
It is likely one of two things that is making her sick - a crop disorder or a bacterial infection. If you are in the northern hemisphere where it's becoming wintry for the most part, coccidiosis is unlikely. It does no harm to go ahead and treat for it, though. But withhold vitamins during treatment as it is counterproductive since amprolium is designed to block a certain B vitamin the coccidia thrive on.

Check her crop. From the looks of her poop, it may be yeasty. If it feels full and soft and squishy like it's full of liquid, it's very likely that yeast is what's making her sick. To confirm a crop disorder, and it can be somethig other than yeast affecting the crop, check it in the morning before she has food and water to fill her crop up. If the crop is not empty, then there is a crop issue. This will help you determine if a crop issue is present and how to diagnose which one and how to treat it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If her crop checks out normal, then she may have a bacterial infection. She would require an oral antibiotic. You need to tell us your location, and it would help you in all future postings to get the best possible help if you would go to your profile and add your location to it. It informs us of climate, local regulations, and availability of over the counter meds. Some states and countries forbid antibiotics except from a vet, and vets are scarce that treat poultry.

It is likely one of two things that is making her sick - a crop disorder or a bacterial infection. If you are in the northern hemisphere where it's becoming wintry for the most part, coccidiosis is unlikely. It does no harm to go ahead and treat for it, though. But withhold vitamins during treatment as it is counterproductive since amprolium is designed to block a certain B vitamin the coccidia thrive on.

Check her crop. From the looks of her poop, it may be yeasty. If it feels full and soft and squishy like it's full of liquid, it's very likely that yeast is what's making her sick. To confirm a crop disorder, and it can be somethig other than yeast affecting the crop, check it in the morning before she has food and water to fill her crop up. If the crop is not empty, then there is a crop issue. This will help you determine if a crop issue is present and how to diagnose which one and how to treat it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If her crop checks out normal, then she may have a bacterial infection. She would require an oral antibiotic. You need to tell us your location, and it would help you in all future postings to get the best possible help if you would go to your profile and add your location to it. It informs us of climate, local regulations, and availability of over the counter meds. Some states and countries forbid antibiotics except from a vet, and vets are scarce that treat poultry.
Thank you! I am new to the group and hadn’t realized I can change my location. I will do so... I am located in Portland, Oregon. It has been nearly freezing, so I too had skepticism about cocci. I will continue Corid as a precaution and discontinue vitamins. Her crop feels empty and firm, not squishy. Thank you so much for your feedback. Honestly I am surprised she is still going and am sure we are limited on time.

That would rule out most everything except an infection. Be aware that coccidiosis often has bacterial infection along with it and chickens will die if they aren't treated with an antibiotic in addition to the Corid. Can you buy Fish Mox from a local aquarium store or Petsmart? Or a pigeon supply shop? Or get a vet to sell you some amoxicillin? It's very likely your hen will die unless you get her on an antibiotic.

That would rule out most everything except an infection. Be aware that coccidiosis often has bacterial infection along with it and chickens will die if they aren't treated with an antibiotic in addition to the Corid. Can you buy Fish Mox from a local aquarium store or Petsmart? Or a pigeon supply shop? Or get a vet to sell you some amoxicillin? It's very likely your hen will die unless you get her on an antibiotic.
I would be surprised if it was cocci, as it’s been in the 30’s, but I guess it is possible. Still give the Corid? Or the vitamins/probiotics more helpful with the antibiotic and her not eating? I was able to get Tylan 50 from a friend. I gave her close to 1 ml orally. Thank you again!

Tylan is better than nothing, although it's more effective on bacteria in the respiratory tract. Let us know if there's any improvement on it.

What you can do is order amoxicillin at the following link and keep her on the Tylan until it arrives, then switch over for an additional ten days.
Don't be put off by the name. It's for fish but it's very effective on poultry, too. You will pop one capsule into her beak each day for ten days.

Her urates in the droppings appears yellow. Is her lower abdomen between her legs enlarged at all? Does it feel like she has any fluid in her lower abdomen?

Tylan is better than nothing, although it's more effective on bacteria in the respiratory tract. Let us know if there's any improvement on it.

What you can do is order amoxicillin at the following link and keep her on the Tylan until it arrives, then switch over for an additional ten days.

Don't be put off by the name. It's for fish but it's very effective on poultry, too. You will pop one capsule into her beak each day for ten days.
Thank you so much! Your help means EVERYTHING. I ordered it and paid $22 for overnight. I am willing to try anything! She’s our favorite! I just hope she makes it to tomorrow 😓

I think starting her on the Tylan will help her hold on. Are you able to get any fluids into her? If she hasn't had fluids for a while, her chemistry is going to be failing and the antibiotic won't be able to work. If you can, mix up some warm sugar water and see if she will drink it. If you have Jello, mix a little of that into the water to make it more likely she will drink. Add a tiny pinch of salt and baking soda to it as well.

If you need to force the fluid down her with an oral syringe, here's how to do it safely. You can avoid the airway in the ccenter of the throat by directing the syringe just under the right side of the tongue. Wrap her snugly in a towel to confine wings and feet to make it easier for yourself.

upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

Her urates in the droppings appears yellow. Is her lower abdomen between her legs enlarged at all? Does it feel like she has any fluid in her lower abdomen?
Thank you! I will definitely check that out, she’s about to get another dose of meds, and I will palpate her abdomen.

Back
Top Bottom