Sick chicken

charshuler

Chirping
Apr 20, 2017
Burkburnett, Texas
6D3979DF-F014-4D2E-B408-666BB717CED4.jpeg
I have had her on tylan 200 for awhile 3x a day. Her color improved and ate better. But the bulge had no improvement. It is not puss filled I did try to pop it. Could this be an inner ear infection since she has no other symptoms? I am starting amox today hoping this swollen spot goes down.

Did she ever have any eye or nasal discharge? I assume it's just the one side. The ear area looks normal to me. Just going by the picture, it looks like the top of that thing is almost translucent, like a blister.

If there weren't any eye/nose symptoms before you treated her, I wonder it it's possible she got bit or stung by something. Did you just try squeezing it when you tried to pop it, or did you puncture it with a needle and/or scalpel to see what might come out?

If it is pus, chickens make hard cheese like pus that doesn't act like say, a human pimple- so even if you tried to pop it in a conventional way and got nothing, it could still be pus.

Obviously she's your bird, and it's up to you to decide what you will and won't try based on how she's acting- is it bothering her, is she doing her normal activities that kind of thing, i.e. is it worth messing with. If so, first I would consider - with someone securely holding her, of course - using a short needle and syringe to try and aspirate (suck out) what's in there after of course cleaning the bulge area really well before a needle is introduced. Might give you clear fluid, might give you blood... if there's fluid I would try to remove whatever will drain via needle/syringe. If nothing at all comes out, then it's either pus - the hard chunky type, not what you might think of compared to say a human pimple- or it could be a mass of some kind.

Did she ever have any eye or nasal discharge? I assume it's just the one side. The ear area looks normal to me. Just going by the picture, it looks like the top of that thing is almost translucent, like a blister.

If there weren't any eye/nose symptoms before you treated her, I wonder it it's possible she got bit or stung by something. Did you just try squeezing it when you tried to pop it, or did you puncture it with a needle and/or scalpel to see what might come out?

If it is pus, chickens make hard cheese like pus that doesn't act like say, a human pimple- so even if you tried to pop it in a conventional way and got nothing, it could still be pus.

Obviously she's your bird, and it's up to you to decide what you will and won't try based on how she's acting- is it bothering her, is she doing her normal activities that kind of thing, i.e. is it worth messing with. If so, first I would consider - with someone securely holding her, of course - using a short needle and syringe to try and aspirate (suck out) what's in there after of course cleaning the bulge area really well before a needle is introduced. Might give you clear fluid, might give you blood... if there's fluid I would try to remove whatever will drain via needle/syringe. If nothing at all comes out, then it's either pus - the hard chunky type, not what you might think of compared to say a human pimple- or it could be a mass of some kind.
Yes just one side. I have not seen any drainage.

Back
Top Bottom