Sick Chicken

Can you give some more details? How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would get her drinking some fluids by holding a small cup up to beak. Vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily would be helpful. Electrolytes or Gatorade would be good. What do her poops look like? From the looks of her dark comb, she could be dehydrated, or suffering from a heart issue. Has she been kept from food and water by the others?

Could she be molting, sometimes it causes them to feel unwell. Hopefully she turns the corner soon. Keep up the great care!
I have noticed her tail feather look smaller like when they molt but no drastic feather loss like when they usually molt. Can molting make them feel so bad they can't walk and won't hold their head up?

Don't worry about it. The moderators might move it.

If she is three, she may just be near the end. A lot of chickens are near the end around 3 years of age +/-. They are not real long lived animals.

I have noticed her tail feather look smaller like when they molt but no drastic feather loss like when they usually molt. Can molting make them feel so bad they can't walk and won't hold their head up?
Maybe harder on her bc she is older or it could be something entirely different.
Throwing things out there to rule out.

@Eggcessive gave good advice with the Vit B Complex too

Can you give some more details? How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would get her drinking some fluids by holding a small cup up to beak. Vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily would be helpful. Electrolytes or Gatorade would be good. What do her poops look like? From the looks of her dark comb, she could be dehydrated, or suffering from a heart issue. Has she been kept from food and water by the others?
She was not vaccinated. She will be 3 in February. I'll add in the b complex tomorrow thank you so much for that. Tonight her poop looked watery but I think because I gave her so much liquid today. I don't think she's eaten anything in days since she's extremely skinny. All the other chickens are a healthy happy weight. I was also wondering if my other chickens started bullying her keeping her from food or water. When I first found her today I took her to their water and another chicken immediately went after her to peck her. She was defenseless and couldn't even drink on her own so of course I isolated her in a separate area.

The other chickens will sense that a chicken is weak or sick, and they will peck at them and keep them from eating. So I would keep her separate, feed and water her with moistened chicken feed, scrambled egg or tuna, and give her some vitamins and electrolytes. Hold a small cup or bowl up to her beak 3 times a day.

The other chickens will sense that a chicken is weak or sick, and they will peck at them and keep them from eating. So I would keep her separate, feed and water her with moistened chicken feed, scrambled egg or tuna, and give her some vitamins and electrolytes. Hold a small cup or bowl up to her beak 3 times a day.
Ok, thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom