Sick chicken

Coolhollee

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2022
Hi,

My chicken has been sick for a week and a few days now. Green and white poop not eating or drinking on own. I first noticed her gurgling but that has stopped. It seems she has a hard time keeping water down when I syringe it in her mouth. Her crop seems full and squishy. She seems Lethargic and stands sometimes but sits down most of the time. Her comb isn’t pale. She is alert but doesn’t move around to much. I have been giving her a probiotic electrolyte mix of water. What else can I give her? Could it be worms? Sour crop?

Any advice would be helpful

Any number of things can make a chicken sick. We begin by examining the crop, a head down approach. You will need to check the crop in the morning to determine its functioning. This explains how. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If you have a vet for other pets, you can ask them to run a chicken poop sample for worms. Assure them you will assume responsibility for treatment. A fecal float test is inexpensive and can give results in an hour. It will confirm or rule out worms or coccidia, and it will allow you to select the right treatment.

These are the most basic places to start ruling things out. Then we can examine other possibilities.

How old is she? Does she lay eggs? Is her lower belly between the legs enlarged or very full? Is her tail up or down in position? Crop disorders can be sometimes related to other things, such as reproductive disorders, worms, ascites, or cancer.

Back
Top Bottom