Sick chicken

Did not seem like a lot has washed out. What is sticking out of her is actually part of her. Probably 4 inches of something is out. I don't have any experience with chickens or any other animals, therefore I have no idea how and where to push anything back
sad.png

http://picasaweb.google.com/1034166...authkey=Gv1sRgCJPimtTioprw0gE&feat=directlink - have updated with few more pics. does not look helpful
sad.png
that large piece that is sticking out is a part of her and I don't think it should be out in chickens.

she did seem to enjoy the bath for some time

Last edited:
and she is pecking herself there too. at least she is trying.

the tray under the wire cage she is in right now has that yellowish pus.

I know it's weird, but you really have to try to push it in. Once you kind of get your hands on things, it starts to make more sense. If you're not going to push it back in asap, you need to put her down because she has no hope if you don't do it.

Just coat it with some honey and start pushing it back in. You really must just go ahead and do it. Don't be bashful. Once it gets part way in, it will make more sense. You're right, that part does need to be inside her. I wanted you to clean her off so that you could see what was going on.

After reading the above reply (thanks!!) I have taken the hen (Maggie) out again. Examined her closer. I think she has lived with this organ out for quite a long time, at least it looks like it. It is not sticking out of her cloaca. I have updated the pics again and on this one
http://picasaweb.google.com/1034166...Tioprw0gE&feat=directlink#5526914115241673506 that you can see that her cloaca (where my pointer finger is) is nice and clean and the part that sticks out is way below that (it is attached above my thumb). It is all covered in feathers, some of which are still "alive" feathers and some are detached. The area where this part is attached to the body is tight, all "healed" - there is no way to push anything back. Maybe she lived with it sticking out for quite some time (how was it possible for it to get out of the body if there is no natural hole? maybe she was born like this? don't know) until something or someone broke (pecked) a hole in it and it started rotten and bleed, etc. http://picasaweb.google.com/1034166...Tioprw0gE&feat=directlink#5526914123186671810 - this image shows it even better.

Last edited:
Quote:
I did look up the word "navel", so I think I know what it means, but I have no idea where that part is on chicken. I googeled some images, but it gave me no useful results
sad.png

The navel is the belly button on a human. A chicken also has kind of an umbilical cord when they hatch, and it's the place through which they absorb the yolk that gives them nutrition. On a baby chick, the navel (and it may not be called that on a chicken; i'm not sure) would be maybe half an inch from the vent, straight up the center of the abdomen.

I've never heard of it before, but i guess it's probably possible that her umbilical never healed right, and so she's been wearing it around like that. I'm also really not sure what should be done about it. Has the bleeding stopped? Is it healed over? Maybe if it heals up, you can just leave her alone, since she's gotten this far with it that way.

Back
Top Bottom